Timbers Earn 1-0 Road Shutout Victory over Vancouver Whitecaps FC Sunday Night
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers extended their winning streak to three games with a 1-0 shutout victory over Cascadia-rival Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Providence Park on Sunday night. Felipe Mora tallied the game-winning goal, while Eryk Williamson notched his third assist in league play. Notably, Steve Clark posted a shutout for a second consecutive match.
Timbers' Run Of Form
With the victory over Whitecaps FC, Portland (7-4-3, 24pts) stayed in second place in the Western Conference standings, level on points with first place Seattle (7-3-3, 24pts). In their last six regular-season matches dating back to Sept. 6, the Timbers have posted a record of 4-1-1. Notably, the win improved Portland's record on the road to 3-1-1 in regular-season play in 2020.
The match between Portland and Vancouver marked the 25th regular-season meeting between the two clubs in MLS play, with the Timbers improving to 12-7-6 in the all-time series. At Providence Park, the Timbers are 8-2-4 all-time against Whitecaps FC.
With his goal in the fifth minute, Mora's goal brought the Timbers' team total to six headed goals during the 2020 MLS regular season, which is tied for first place with Orlando City SC in that category. Jeremy Ebobisse has tallied three headed goals, while Julio Cascante, Jaroslaw Niezgoda and Mora have each tallied one headed goal.
POR - Felipe Mora (Eryk Williamson), 5th minute: Eryk Williamson's delivery from a free kick to the top of the six-yard box found Felipe Mora, whose flicked header beat Bryan Meredith at the near post.
For the second time in the 2020 regular season, the Timbers have posted a three-game winning streak. Portland is the only MLS team with multiple three-game winning streaks in 2020.
Portland has scored six goals in the first 15 minutes of a match in regular season play this year, tied with Chicago Fire FC for the most in MLS in 2020.
The Timbers improved to 3-1-1 in five regular-season road matches in 2020.
Portland improved to 9-1-4 across all competitions in 2020 when scoring the first goal of a match.
In seven matches played during the month of September, the Timbers finished with a 4-2-1 record.
The match was the 800th regular season match for the Timbers in the pro eras of the Timbers (NASL, USL, and MLS).
Felipe Mora scored his fourth goal of the season.
Mora is the third Timbers player to score four or more goals for the 2020 regular season and the fifth Timbers player with four or more goals in all competitions this year.
Mora's goal came in the fifth minute and was the earliest goal scored by the Timbers this season.
Eryk Williamson delivered his third assist of the season. Both of Williamson's last two assists have come on Mora goals.
The shutout was Steve Clark's third this season and the 35th of his MLS career. Clark is now tied for 28th-most shutouts in MLS history with Andre Blake.
Jeremy Ebobisse appeared in his 71st consecutive match across all competitions for the Timbers dating back to Sept. 8, 2018. The club record for most consecutive appearances across all competitions is 72.
The Timbers play host to the Colorado Rapids at Providence Park on Saturday, Oct. 3; kickoff is set for 8 p.m. (Pacific). The Oct. 3 match features a local television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS with local radio broadcast on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland Timbers (7-4-3, 24pts) vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC (5-9-0, 15pts)
Sept. 27, 2020 - Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 1 0 1
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 0 0
POR: Mora (Williamson), 5
VAN: Gutiérrez (caution), 8
VAN: Cavallini (caution), 40
VAN: Bikel (caution), 45+1
POR: Farfan (caution), 45+2
POR: Paredes (caution), 49
POR: GK Clark, D Bonilla, D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Farfan, M D. Chara, M Paredes (Ebobisse, 77), M LorÃa (Y. Chara, 57), M Williamson (Valeri, 45), M Polo, F Mora (Niezgoda, 77)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, D Cascante, M McGraw, D Villafaña, M Zambrano
TOTAL SHOTS: 12 (Four players tied, 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 7 (Ebobisse, 2); FOULS: 16 (Farfan, 4); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 3
VAN: GK Meredith, D Nerwinski (Ricketts), D Godoy, D Rose, D Gutiérrez (Milinkovic, 64), M DÃ¡jome (Raposo), M Bikel, M Owusu, M Adnan, F Montero, F Cavallini
Substitutes Not Used: GK Boehmer, D Cornelius, D Veselinovic, M Baldisimo, M Metcalfe, F Bair
TOTAL SHOTS: 8 (Cavallini, Montero, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (Montero, 2); FOULS: 16 (Bikel, 4); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES:6
Referee: Ted Unkel
Assistant Referees: Mike Rottersman, Chris Elliot
Fourth Official: Brandon Stevis
VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
Weather: Clear, 66 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 28, 2020
- MLS and Colorado Rapids Confirm Additional COVID-19 Positive Cases - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 28 Ã¢ÂÂ October 4 - Chicago Fire
- Inter Miami CF Trades Roman Torres to Seattle Sounders FC - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC Acquires Defender Roman Torres from Inter Miami CF - Seattle Sounders FC
- Laryea Named MLS Player of the Week - Toronto FC
- Toronto FC Defender Richie Laryea Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chicago Fire FC First-Ever Sports Team to be Named a Finalist for Prestigious U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation Citizens Awards - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Remains Hungry for More After Four-Point Week - Nashville SC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Experienced MLS Goalkeeper Evan Bush Via Trade from Montreal Impact - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Trades Evan Bush to Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 28, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Time for October 18 Home Match against New York City FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Rave Green Cruise to 3-1 Win at LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- Quakes score twice late to earn first win over LAFC - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Falls 2-1 to San Jose Earthquakes on Sunday at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Earn 1-0 Road Shutout Victory over Vancouver Whitecaps FC Sunday Night - Portland Timbers
- 'Caps fall to West co-leaders in first Portland home match - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Seattle Battle to 1-1 Draw at Centurylink Field Thursday Night
- Timbers Travel to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight at CenturyLink Field
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park
- Timbers Play Host to Los Angeles FC Tonight at Providence Park
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Real Salt Lake