Sounders FC Acquires Defender Roman Torres from Inter Miami CF
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC today acquired defender RomÃ¡n Torres from Inter Miami CF in exchange for a conditional first round selection in the 2021 MLS SuperDraft. The Panamanian returns to Seattle after making 80 appearances (including postseason) for the Rave Green from 2015-2019, helping the club to three MLS Cup appearances and two titles. Torres can join Sounders FC in training and matches upon completion of any mandatory quarantine period under local government and MLS health and safety protocol.
Torres returns to Seattle, where he helped the Rave Green win MLS Cup in 2016 and 2019 (Charis Wilson / Sounders FC).
"Roman is a good, veteran player who we know well and believe will provide a nice compliment to the existing group," said Sounders FC General Manager & President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey. "We look forward to welcoming him back to the club as we prepare for the final stretch of the 2020 season."
Torres made 80 MLS appearances (including postseason) for Sounders FC from 2015-2019, as the club captured three Western Conference championships and two MLS Cup titles. He started and played every minute of the Rave Green's three MLS Cup appearances and scored the match-winning penalty in 2016 MLS Cup against Toronto FC. In his 80 MLS appearances, Sounders FC held a 45-18-17 record, including a 11-2-1 mark in the postseason. Torres has started four of his five appearances this season with Miami.
"We are pleased to welcome RomÃ¡n back to the squad. He helped us win two MLS Cups and will be a strong addition in a push for a third championship," said Sounders FC Head Coach Brian Schmetzer. "His leadership has always provided an important presence on and off the field for us. I look forward to having back in training and games as soon as possible."
Torres originally joined the Rave Green in 2015 following 11 professional seasons in South and Central American topflight football, including nine campaigns in Liga Ãguila, Colombia's top division. Prior to his time in MLS, the Panama City native amassed 331 career appearances and 32 goals dating back to 2004. A three-time Liga Ãguila champion, Torres won 2010 and 2011 Apertura championships with Atlètico Junior and Atlètico Nacional, respectively, before leading Millonarios to the 2012 Clausura crown. After beginning his career with hometown side Chepo FC in 2004, Torres moved to fellow Panamanian club San Francisco FC in 2005, winning a pair of Panamanian First Division titles before transitioning to Colombia in 2006.
"Roman has been central to some of our organization's biggest moments and we are excited to bring him back," said Sounders FC Vice President of Soccer & Sporting Director Chris Henderson. "I always like when a player wants to return for a second stint with the club. It says a lot about the team's relationship with our fans and the Seattle soccer community as whole."
A longtime captain of the Panamanian National Team, Torres has 119 career international caps since his debut in 2005. His historic 88th-minute match-winning goal against Costa Rica in a FIFA World Cup Qualifier on October 17, 2017 clinched Panama's first-ever FIFA World Cup appearance in 2018, where Torres captained and started every match. Torres featured for Los Canaleros in seven Concacaf Gold Cups (2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2019) and was a member of the squad that won the 2009 Copa Centroamericana and finished runner-up in 2007.
Following a 3-1 win on Sunday over the LA Galaxy, Sounders FC (7-3-3, 24 points) returns home to face Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday, October 3 at CenturyLink Field (7:00 p.m. PT / JOEtv, Amazon Prime Video, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
TRANSACTION: Sounders FC acquires defender RomÃ¡n Torres from Inter Miami CF in exchange for a conditional First Round 2021 MLS SuperDraft selection on September 28, 2020.
Name: RomÃ¡n Torres
Born: March 20, 1986 in Panama City, Panama
Hometown: Panama City, Panama
Acquired: Acquired by Sounders FC from Inter Miami CF in exchange for a conditional First Round 2021 MLS SuperDraft selection on September 28, 2020
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 28, 2020
- MLS and Colorado Rapids Confirm Additional COVID-19 Positive Cases - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 28 Ã¢ÂÂ October 4 - Chicago Fire
- Inter Miami CF Trades Roman Torres to Seattle Sounders FC - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC Acquires Defender Roman Torres from Inter Miami CF - Seattle Sounders FC
- Laryea Named MLS Player of the Week - Toronto FC
- Toronto FC Defender Richie Laryea Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chicago Fire FC First-Ever Sports Team to be Named a Finalist for Prestigious U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation Citizens Awards - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Remains Hungry for More After Four-Point Week - Nashville SC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Experienced MLS Goalkeeper Evan Bush Via Trade from Montreal Impact - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Trades Evan Bush to Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 28, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Time for October 18 Home Match against New York City FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Rave Green Cruise to 3-1 Win at LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- Quakes score twice late to earn first win over LAFC - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Falls 2-1 to San Jose Earthquakes on Sunday at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Earn 1-0 Road Shutout Victory over Vancouver Whitecaps FC Sunday Night - Portland Timbers
- 'Caps fall to West co-leaders in first Portland home match - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC VOTE Tour Presented by Starbucks Kicks off Tomorrow, October 27
- Will Bruin Stoppage Time Goal Snatches Point for Sounders FC over Timbers
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs Portland Timbers - October 22, 2020
- Sounders FC Trade Handwalla Bwana to Nashville SC for Jimmy Medranda
- Sounders FC and San Jose Earthquakes Play to Gritty Stalemate in Northern California