Whitecaps FC Acquire Experienced MLS Goalkeeper Evan Bush Via Trade from Montreal Impact
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC added an experienced goalkeeper to their roster on Monday, acquiring Evan Bush via trade from Montreal Impact for Vancouver's natural third-round selection in the 2021 MLS SuperDraft. Bush will arrive in Portland, Oregon later today.
Bush spent the last 10 years with Montreal. The 34-year old product of Cleveland, Ohio is the fifth goalkeeper on the 'Caps roster, which includes Maxime Crépeau who is currently recovering from a fractured left thumb, which needed surgery at the end of July, and a pair of BMO Academy System products in 20-year-old Thomas Hasal and 18-year-old Isaac Boehmer. Hasal is expected to miss an indefinite period of time with a left tibia stress fracture and concussion.
"Due to the uncertainty around our goalkeeper position, this is a move we needed to make," said Axel Schuster, Whitecaps FC sporting director and chief executive officer. "Max Crepeau is still a few weeks away from returning to full training and Thomas Hasal is out indefinitely. We explored a number of possibilities and Evan Bush is an experienced professional who will provide us another strong option in net along with Bryan Meredith."
Whitecaps FC head coach Marc Dos Santos brought Bush to Montreal in 2011 and he played seven years under 'Caps goalkeeper coach Youssef Dahha.
Among Bush's 225 matches across all competitions, the 12-year professional has played in 176 MLS regular season matches, making 562 saves, earning 40 clean sheets, and playing in eight playoff matches for the Impact.
In eight Canadian Championship games, Bush backstopped the Impact to the Voyageurs Cup in both 2013 and 2014, while also winning the title with the club in 2019.
In the Concacaf Champions League, Bush made 13 starts from 2013 to 2015, recording five clean sheets in that time and leading the club to the championship final in 2015 before falling to Club América.
TRANSACTION: On September 28, 2020, Whitecaps FC acquired goalkeeper Evan Bush via trade from Montreal Impact for Vancouver's natural third-round selection in the 2021 MLS SuperDraft.
Weight: 185 pounds
Date of birth: March 6, 1986 in Concord Township, Ohio
Hometown: Cleveland, Ohio
Citizenship: United States
Former club: Montreal Impact ('11 - '20)
University: University of Akron ('05 - '08)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 28, 2020
- MLS and Colorado Rapids Confirm Additional COVID-19 Positive Cases - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 28 Ã¢ÂÂ October 4 - Chicago Fire
- Inter Miami CF Trades Roman Torres to Seattle Sounders FC - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC Acquires Defender Roman Torres from Inter Miami CF - Seattle Sounders FC
- Laryea Named MLS Player of the Week - Toronto FC
- Toronto FC Defender Richie Laryea Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chicago Fire FC First-Ever Sports Team to be Named a Finalist for Prestigious U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation Citizens Awards - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Remains Hungry for More After Four-Point Week - Nashville SC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Experienced MLS Goalkeeper Evan Bush Via Trade from Montreal Impact - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Trades Evan Bush to Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 28, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Time for October 18 Home Match against New York City FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Rave Green Cruise to 3-1 Win at LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- Quakes score twice late to earn first win over LAFC - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Falls 2-1 to San Jose Earthquakes on Sunday at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Earn 1-0 Road Shutout Victory over Vancouver Whitecaps FC Sunday Night - Portland Timbers
- 'Caps fall to West co-leaders in first Portland home match - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- 'Caps rally behind Adnan, Ricketts goals for massive win
- Whitecaps FC's Nationwide Search for the ONe Commences on November 6
- 'Caps lose late to LA Galaxy on the road
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2023 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from LAFC for 2020 International Roster Slot
- 'Caps vault above playoff line with second straight win