Tiger-Cats Make Four Selections In 2008 Canadian Draft
Hamilton, Ontario - The Hamilton Tiger-Cats made four selections in the 2008 CFL Canadian Draft on Wednesday, adding some gifted players to an already impressive array of Canadian talent.
With the first overall selection, the Ticats selected Saskatchewan defensive back Dylan Barker. The 6-4, 200-pound native of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan is a two-time CIS first-team All-Canadian and Canada West All-Star. Last season, Barker led the Huskies with 53 tackles, three interceptions and four pass knockdowns.
The Black and Gold used their second first-round selection (8th overall) on Sherbrooke wide receiver Samuel Giguere. Giguere, a 6-0, 215-pound native of Sherbrooke, Quebec, was named a CIS first-team All-Canadian and a QUFL All-Star last season after recording 45 receptions for 871 yards and seven touchdowns. Giguere signed as a free agent with the NFL's Indianapolis Colts on April 27.
In the third round, the Cats added Queen's running back Mike Giffin with the 17th overall pick. The 6-0, 235-pound native of Kingston, Ontario led the CIS in rushing last season and was named a CIS first-team All-Canadian. In eight games last season, Giffin carried the ball 197 times for 1,206 yards and 13 touchdowns while making 23 receptions for 352 yards and four touchdowns.
The Ticats used their fifth round (33rd overall) pick on Laval wide receiver Laurent Lavigne-Masse. Last season, Lavigne-Masse recorded 33 receptions for 448 yards and nine touchdowns and was named a CIS first-team All-Canadian as well as a QUFL All-Star.
"Today was a great day for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats," said general manager Bob O'Billovich. "We thought that Dylan (Barker) and Samuel (Giguere) were the top two players in the draft. Mike (Giffin) is a tough hard-nosed running back with great size and speed who has the potential to play special teams and develop into good fullback in this league. Laurent (Lavigne-Masse) was an impressive CIS player and has an opportunity to turn some heads in training camp."
The Ticats then traded their sixth-round (41st overall) selection to Saskatchewan in exchange for future considerations.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from April 30, 2008
- Tiger-Cats Make Four Selections In 2008 Canadian Draft - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Stampeders Complete Draft Day - Calgary Stampeders
- Esks Unveil Draft Class of 08 - Edmonton Eskimos
- Bombers pleased with results of CFL Draft - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Linebacker Shea Emry Alouettes' First-Round Draft Pick - Montreal Alouettes
- Lions net seven in 2008 Canadian Draft - B.C. Lions
- Eskimos select OL Wojt 11th overall in '08 CFL Canadian Draft - Edmonton Eskimos
- 2008 Cfl Canadian Draft First Round Selections - CFL
- Bombers select OL LaBatte in CFL Draft - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Stamps Select Newman - Calgary Stampeders
- Stamps Make Trade - Calgary Stampeders
- Eskimos swing draft day deal with Stamps - Edmonton Eskimos
- Stamps Take Tsoumpas - Calgary Stampeders
- Barker Selected First Overall in the 2008 CFL Canadian Draft - CFL
- Ticats Land DB Markeith Knowlton - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Leos send pair to Ti-Cats; pick up second round pick - B.C. Lions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hamilton Tiger-Cats Stories
- Tiger-Cats Add American Defensive End Crump to Practice Roster
- Tiger-Cats Announce Exclusive Partnership with My Insurance Broker
- Tiger-Cats Sign Global Kicker Amavizca-Ortiz
- Tiger-Cats Home Opener Game Time Moved up to 7 p.m.
- Tiger-Cats Add National Defensive End Walker to Practice Roster