Tides Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
The Norfolk Tides today announced they are joining MiLB CommUNITY First, a new national initiative developed by Minor League Baseball (MiLB) in conjunction with Feeding America®, to raise funds for local food banks and to honor individuals risking their lives on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Tides fans are encouraged to visit MiLB.com/CommUNITYFirst through May 31 to donate. Once on the site, fans can choose their donation amount and the Norfolk Tides as the recipient of their donation to direct funds to the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia & The Eastern Shore. For every $10 donated, the Tides will donate two tickets to a future home game this season or in 2021 to deserving individuals associated with the Foodbank.
"We're thrilled to partner with Minor League Baseball in this important community initiative" said Tides General Manager Joe Gregory. "We know these are difficult times for so many in Hampton Roads, and anything we can do to help those in need is something we're happy to do."
School closures, rising unemployment and rising poverty due to quarantine and extended stay-at-home orders have disproportionately impacted people already at risk of hunger and could result in an estimated additional 17.1 million people experiencing food insecurity in the next six months, according to Feeding America. As the nation's largest domestic hunger-relief organization with a network of more than 200 affiliates, Feeding America has projected a $1.4 billion shortfall in the next six months alone.
In response, contributions from Tides fans and Minor League Baseball will help ensure families and individuals across the country most impacted by the pandemic are fed and cared for during these uncertain times. Join the national campaign by donating and selecting "Norfolk Tides" at MiLB.com/CommUNITYFirst.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 28, 2020
- Syracuse Mets Helping to Raise Money for the Food Bank of Central New York as Part of Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign - Syracuse Mets
- Fan Donations to Benefit Local Food Bank, Provide Free Ticket to Local Heroes - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Join MiLB Effort to Feed America - Toledo Mud Hens
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tides Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign - Norfolk Tides
- Minor League Baseball Launches CommUNITY First Campaign - IL
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Nominate a 'Community All-Star' to be Recognized by the Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons to Face IL Foes in MLB the Show 20 Championship Tournament - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.