ThunderBolts Suffer Doubleheader Sweep
FLORENCE, KY - Despite three home runs for Tyler Straub in game one, the ThunderBolts were swept in a doubleheader by the Florence Freedom 7-5 and 3-0 at UC Health Stadium Wednesday night.
Straub started the scoring in game one with a first inning solo home run, his first of the year. Ransom LaLonde added to it with a two-run shot in the second and Straub went deep again in the third inning to make it 4-0.
Florence responded with two runs in the third. Keivan Berges hit a sacrifice fly and Andre Mercurio hit an RBI single.
The Freedom (13-16) took over the game with a five-run fifth. Berges drove in the first on an RBI single and back-to-back walks loaded the bases before Jacob Wark hit a grand slam to move ahead 7-4.
Straub's third homer wasn't enough to complete the comeback as the Bolts fell 7-5.
Jordan Kraus (2-2) secured the win despite allowing five runs in six innings. Drew Peden (0-1) allowed four runs in 1.2 innings for the loss. Jake Haberer pitched a scoreless seventh for his first save.
The ThunderBolts (10-17) threatened to score only once in game two, when they put runners at first and third on back-to-back singles in the third inning. They were unable to score and didn't get another hit until the seventh inning.
Florence jumped on the scoreboard without a hit in the bottom of the third inning. After a walk and a hit batter, Andre Mercurio's sacrifice fly made it 1-0.
They put the game away with two runs in the fifth. With two on and two out, Berges tripled home both runs, chasing ThunderBolts starter Eddie Avila from the game, and securing the win.
Christian DeLeon (1-2) allowed two hits over five innings for the win and Avila (0-1) allowed three runs in 4.2 innings for the loss in his pro debut. Johnathan Tripp pitched a scoreless seventh for the save.
The series wraps up on Thursday night with Jake Welch (3-0, 2.63) on the hill for the Bolts against Florence's Chuck Weaver (0-1, 4.50). First pitch from UC Health Stadium is set for 5:35 and the broadcast can be heard on WXAV 88.3 FM and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Normal Falls 8-4 to Lake Erie - Normal CornBelters
- Beach Bums Swept in Doubleheader by Rascals - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Florence Sweeps Twin Bill with Bolts to Begin Homestand - Florence Freedom
- Otters Bested by Boomers to Even Series - Evansville Otters
- Miners Halted by Slammers in Wednesday Loss - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Slash Past Otters - Schaumburg Boomers
- ThunderBolts Suffer Doubleheader Sweep - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wild Things Win Ninth Straight - Washington Wild Things
- Grizzlies Drop Wild Day Game - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Return Home for Important 9-Game Homestand - Florence Freedom
- Early Washington Onslaught Too Much for Gateway - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things Win 8th Straight, Take Opener in Sauget 19-10 - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.