Otters Bested by Boomers to Even Series
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. - The Evansville Otters fell 6-4 to the Schaumburg Boomers in the second game of a three-game series at Boomers Stadium on Wednesday night.
Schaumburg got on the board first in the third inning thanks to a Sean Godfrey solo homer to left.
Evansville put up two runs in the fourth to take the lead. An RBI single from David Cronin and an RBI groundout for Ryan Long pushed the Otters in front.
In the bottom half of the fourth, Schaumburg battled back to once again claim the lead. Clint Hardy singled home the first run to tie the game at 2-2. A wild pitch then allowed Zack Weigel to scamper home from third and put Schaumburg in front. Jack Parenty added another run with a two-out RBI single.
The Otters tied the game with two runs in the top of the fifth. Luis Vilorio knocked home a run with a single and Cronin was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to force home a run and tie the game at 4-4.
Schaumburg jumped in front on a perfectly executed squeeze play as James Keller dropped down a bunt that allowed Ty Moore to score and give the Boomers a 5-4 lead.
The Boomers added an insurance run in the eighth on a Keller RBI single.
Jake Joyce came on in the ninth to pitch a perfect inning to close the game and earn his sixth save of the season.
Austin Nicely is handed the loss for the Otters, his second of the season. Nicely threw six innings, allowing five runs, all earned, on eight hits while striking out two.
Schaumburg starter Sam Myers received a no-decision after pitching just 4.1 innings and allowing three runs, two earned.
Darrell Thompson earned the win in relief for the Boomers. Thompson tossed 2.2 innings, allowing just an unearned run while striking out four.
The series will wrap up tomorrow at 6:30 p.m. at Boomers Stadium.
Coverage of the series will continue on WUEV 91.5 FM presented by Kruckemeyer & Cohn with Sam Jellinek (play-by-play) on the call.
Evansville will return to Bosse Field June 15-17 for a three-game set against the Traverse City Beach Bums. The weekend series is highlighted by Boys and Girls Club Weekend with Evan the Otter's birthday and Superhero Night on Friday, postgame fireworks Saturday and Family Fun Day with the family package available on Sunday.
Fans can also follow Otters social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for game updates throughout the day.
The Evansville Otters are the 2006 and 2016 Frontier League champions. Season tickets, group outing packages, and single game tickets are on sale now for the 2018 season.
Tickets can be purchased online at evansvilleotters.com, by calling 812-435-8686, or at the Bosse Field box office. For more information, visit evansvilleotters.com or call 812-435-8686.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Normal Falls 8-4 to Lake Erie - Normal CornBelters
- Beach Bums Swept in Doubleheader by Rascals - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Florence Sweeps Twin Bill with Bolts to Begin Homestand - Florence Freedom
- Otters Bested by Boomers to Even Series - Evansville Otters
- Miners Halted by Slammers in Wednesday Loss - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Slash Past Otters - Schaumburg Boomers
- ThunderBolts Suffer Doubleheader Sweep - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wild Things Win Ninth Straight - Washington Wild Things
- Grizzlies Drop Wild Day Game - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Return Home for Important 9-Game Homestand - Florence Freedom
- Early Washington Onslaught Too Much for Gateway - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things Win 8th Straight, Take Opener in Sauget 19-10 - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.