Grizzlies Drop Wild Day Game
SAUGET, Ill. - The Gateway Grizzlies scored 13 hits on a season-high 21 hits, but fell 18-13 to the Washington Wild Things in a wacky day game Wednesday at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Gateway (13-17) has lost back-to-back games by an aggregate score of 37-23.
After the Grizzlies scored three runs in the first inning, Washington (20-9) pushed seven runs across in the visitors' half of the second. Gateway answered with three more in the bottom of the second, but never got closer than a one-run deficit again.
Dalton Shalberg (1-1) took the loss for the Grizzlies in 1 1/3 innings pitched. Wednesday marked the third time in six games during the Grizzlies' current six-game homestand that their starter has failed to record more than four outs.
Washington poured on three more in the third, two in the fourth, five in the fifth and one in the sixth.
Artemis Kadkhodaian crushed a three-run home run in the ninth inning as part of a three-hit day for the Grizzlies - his on-base percentage this season is an astronomical .494. Justin Ellison had a two-run shot of his own. Ellison has four home runs and 11 RBIs in the first six games of Gateway's homestand.
Jeff Cardenas went 3-for-3 with a walk. Jonathan Piron was 3-for-5 with two doubles. Cody Livesay, Blake Brown and Trae Santos had two hits apiece - Brown and Santos both raised their season batting averages to .303.
Brent Sakurai, a Grizzlies infielder, pitched a scoreless ninth inning. Only one Washington batter reached, and it was on an error.
In the first two games of their series, the Grizzlies and the Wild Things have combined for 60 runs on 69 hits.
Gateway and Washington will play the finale of a three-game series Thursday at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Normal Falls 8-4 to Lake Erie - Normal CornBelters
- Beach Bums Swept in Doubleheader by Rascals - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Florence Sweeps Twin Bill with Bolts to Begin Homestand - Florence Freedom
- Otters Bested by Boomers to Even Series - Evansville Otters
- Miners Halted by Slammers in Wednesday Loss - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Slash Past Otters - Schaumburg Boomers
- ThunderBolts Suffer Doubleheader Sweep - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wild Things Win Ninth Straight - Washington Wild Things
- Grizzlies Drop Wild Day Game - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Return Home for Important 9-Game Homestand - Florence Freedom
- Early Washington Onslaught Too Much for Gateway - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things Win 8th Straight, Take Opener in Sauget 19-10 - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.