ThunderBolts Storm Back to 3-2 Win
CRESTWOOD, IL - The ThunderBolts scored three unanswered runs to erase an early deficit and take the opener of a three-game series from the Evansville Otters at Ozinga Field Tuesday night.
Bryan Ketchie made his debut on the mound fort the ThunderBolts (25-35) and struggled out of the gate. Andy DeJesus singled and scored on a Riley Krane fielder's choice. Krane later came home on an error, giving the Otters (38-22) a 2-0 lead in the top of the first.
Ketchie settled in after the shaky start. He allowed five hits over the first two innings but just two more over his final four.
The Bolts began their comeback in the bottom of the third. John Sechen was hit by a pitch and Brynn Martinez singled him in to cut the deficit in half. The next inning, Jairus Richards singled and stole a base. Zach Racusin scored him on a double.
They made it a run in three straight innings and took the lead in the fifth. Payton Robertson hit a leadoff double. Martinez bunted him to third and when the ball was thrown away, Robertson scampered home to make the score 3-2.
The ThunderBolts bullpen took care of the rest, Ryan Hare and Stetson Woods combined for three hitless frames, allowing just one combined base runner.
Ketchie (1-5) earned his first professional victory while Tim Holdgrafer (5-3) was saddled with the loss despite a quality start of six innings and three runs. Stetson Woods' scoreless ninth gave him his first career save.
The ThunderBolts and Otters continue their series with game two on Wednesday night. Miguel Ausua (6-2, 3.81) will start for the Bolts against Evansville's Braden Scott (4-2, 2.85). It is a Military Appreciation Game and Senior Night at Ozinga Field for the 7:05 first pitch. Links to the audio and video broadcasts can be found at wcthunderbolts.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 3, 2021
- Slammers Fall Short in Game One against Lake Erie - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Lose Late at Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Storm Back to 3-2 Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Grizzlies Win Third Straight - Gateway Grizzlies
- ValleyCats Rout Equipe Quebec in International Debut - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Washington Drops Two to Sussex County to Start Series - Washington Wild Things
- Y'alls Late Comeback Falls Short Versus Boomers - Florence Y'alls
- Two Boulders Pitchers Combine To 4-Hit Jackals - New York Boulders
- Middendorf Dazzles as Boomers Hold Back Florence - Schaumburg Boomers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.