ThunderBolts Fall in Finale at Evansville
EVANSVILLE, IN - The Evansville Otters scored three early runs and cruised to a 6-1 win over the ThunderBolts to take the series at Bosse Field Thursday night.
David Cronin reached on an error to begin the bottom of the first inning. He stole second and moved to third on another error before Ryan Long's sacrifice fly gave the Otters (17-13) their first run.
They added two more in the third inning when two singles and a passed ball set up a Cronin two-out two-run single.
The ThunderBolts (14-16) loaded the bases with only one out in the fourth inning but were unable to get a run in and Evansville distanced themselves the following frame.
With two outs and no one on, Carlos Castro doubled and Rob Calabrese hit a two-run homer just inside the left field foul pole, making the score 5-0.
The Bolts were able to avoid being shutout when they plated their only run in the top of the eighth inning. Blair Beck doubled and scores on a Dash Winningham base hit. The Otters immediately responded with a run to put the game away in the bottom of the inning. Patrick Mathis, in his professional pitching debut, walked the bases loaded and Blake Hickman walked a run in to make the final score 6-1.
Former ThunderBolt Jake Welch (1-1) picked up his first win of the year, throwing eight innings and allowing one run on eight hits. Kenny Mathews (1-3) took the loss. He allowed five runs (three earned) over 5.1 innings.
The ThunderBolts' road trip continues on Friday as the Bolts are hosted by the Gateway Grizzlies. Christian Morris (1-2, 4.21) starts for Windy City against Gateway's Lucas Lanphere (1-2, 6.66). First pitch from GCS Credit Union Ballpark is scheduled for 7:05 and the broadcast can be heard on WXAV, 88.3 FM and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Browns Drop Finale to Senators - Gateway Grizzlies
- Florence Sweeps Schaumburg for Sixth Consecutive Win - Florence Y'alls
- Big Inning Leads Miners To Sweep Of Wild Things - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers Score in 9th to Beat Slammers 4-3, Win Series 2-1. - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Fall in Finale at Evansville - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Eight-Run Second Inning Proves Costly for Washington in Finale at SIL - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Swept in Kentucky - Schaumburg Boomers
- Brewers Sign Sigman - River City Rascals
- Colt World Series Tickets on Sale Now - Southern Illinois Miners
- Motte and Robinson Added to Legends Game - River City Rascals
- Crushers Win Rain Shortened Contest - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City ThunderBolts Stories
- Windy City ThunderBolts Will Not Have Baseball in 2020 as Frontier League Suspends Entire Championship Season
- ThunderBolts Close Season with Blowout Win
- Florence Comes from Behind to Beat ThunderBolts
- Big Ninth Inning Carries ThunderBolts over Schaumburg
- Washington Pitches ThunderBolts to Victory