Crushers Score in 9th to Beat Slammers 4-3, Win Series 2-1.
JOLIET, IL - CRUSHERS SCORE IN 9TH TO BEAT SLAMMERS 4-3, WIN SERIES 2-1.
The Crushers would strike first in tonight's game, James Davison Jr. got the 3rd inning rally started with a double to left-center, he was brought home thanks to an RBI single from Dale Burdick. The ensuing Crusher hitter, Jake Vieth, brought Burdick home from 1st with a double to left-center giving the Crushers a 2-0 lead.
In the bottom half of the 3rd inning, the Slammers would get a run back thanks to Jared Morello's first homerun of the season. The Slammers threatened later in the inning but left 2 runners on base.
The Slammers were able to tie the game at 2 in the bottom half of the 5th inning. Chaz Meadows lead off the inning with a single, Tyler Coolbaugh moved him to 2nd with a sac bunt, then Harrison Bragg brought home Meadows for his 1st RBI of the season.
After scoring both of their runs in the 3rd inning, the Crushers didn't score again until the top of the 7th. Bryan DeLarosa lead off the inning with a double, then scored from 3rd on a wild pitch to give the Crushers a 3-2 lead.
The Slammers would tie the game in the bottom of the 7th on a wild play. After Crushers relief pitcher, Augie Gallardo, walked the bases loaded with 2 outs, he threw a wild pitch that allowed Chaz Meadows to break for the plate. Crushers catcher, Bryan DeLaRosa, tried to throw the ball to the pitcher covering the plate but he hit the umpire in the back of the head, and Meadows scored easily to tie the game at 3.
The Crushers would take a 4-3 lead in the top of the 9th after Aaron Hill lead off the inning with a homerun off of Drew Pedan. That would end up being the winning run in this game. Drew Pedan is charged with the loss, while the win goes to Augie Gallardo. Logan Lombana would record the save.
With the win, the Crushers win the series and improve their record to 15-14. The Slammers fall to 11-19 with the loss. The Slammers open their next series with the Washington Wild Things on Friday, June 14. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 at DuPage Medical Group Field.
Both teams received quality starts from their starting pitchers, but both would end up with the no decision. For the Crushers, Pat Ledet pitched 6.1 innings, striking out 7, and gave up 3 runs, 2 earned on 6 hits. For the Slammers, Scot Hoffman also pitched 6.1 innings, striking out 3, and gave up 3 runs on 8 hits.
Tonight's Merchants and Manufacturer's Bank Player of the Game is:Jared Morello (2-4, HR, 1 RBI).
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Browns Drop Finale to Senators - Gateway Grizzlies
- Florence Sweeps Schaumburg for Sixth Consecutive Win - Florence Y'alls
- Big Inning Leads Miners To Sweep Of Wild Things - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers Score in 9th to Beat Slammers 4-3, Win Series 2-1. - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Fall in Finale at Evansville - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Eight-Run Second Inning Proves Costly for Washington in Finale at SIL - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Swept in Kentucky - Schaumburg Boomers
- Brewers Sign Sigman - River City Rascals
- Colt World Series Tickets on Sale Now - Southern Illinois Miners
- Motte and Robinson Added to Legends Game - River City Rascals
- Crushers Win Rain Shortened Contest - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Joliet Slammers Stories
- Slammers Announce Chicago Area Native Aaron Nieckula as Manager
- Slammers Gifts Give Back to Community Organizations
- Frontier League Designated as Partner League of Mlb
- Parreira' Blast, Bullpen's Effort Fuel Slammers' 4-3 Win over NERDS Herd
- Vaughan, Procyshen and McSteen Shine in Slammers' 5-2 Win