Thunderbirds Name John Catalano President & CEO
Halifax, Nova Scotia - The Halifax Thunderbirds announced today that John Catalano has been named the team's President and CEO and will oversee the day to day execution of business and operational duties, including ticket sales, corporate partnerships, marketing, and community relations.
Catalano follows the Thunderbirds to Halifax from Rochester, where he brings 18 years of NLL experience, nine of which as the Vice President of Sales and Corporate Partnerships.
"It is a dream come true to be an integral part of starting a new franchise, especially one in such a passionate sports market. The pride of the community in Halifax is unrivaled," said Catalano. "I am extremely excited about this incredible opportunity to continue working with Curt (Styres) who is the most invested owner I have ever known. His commitment to lacrosse is second to none."
Catalano began his sports career working with the Rochester Rhinos of the United Soccer Leagues (formerly known as the A-League) in 1996 when the team was established. He transitioned into a production position with the Rochester Sports Group in 2001. The Sports Group managed the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League, the Rochester Rattlers of Major League Lacrosse, the Rhinos and Knighthawks.
In that time, he has held positions and supervised the development of marketing, game presentation, communications, video production, ticket sales, and corporate partnerships.
In 2017, Catalano was named a finalist for the NLL Executive of the Year. In that year, the team welcomed six new corporate partners and nearly a 40% increase in partnership revenue. In addition, he was instrumental in negotiating a broadcasting deal with the CW Network to air Knighthawks games in market for the past three seasons.
"John has been with us since day one of entering into the NLL in Rochester and it seems very fitting that he is here at the helm launching the Halifax Thunderbirds alongside me," said owner Curt Styres. "John is a proven asset to the organization, and I know over the ten plus years he has worked tirelessly in all facets of the business. I am confident he will continue to do the same for years to come. I am excited for him to have this opportunity to lead the Thunderbirds as we venture into a new chapter in the great City of Halifax!"
The Halifax Thunderbirds, one of the newest expansion locations in the National Lacrosse League, brings a championship caliber organization and professional lacrosse to Nova Scotia. Season ticket memberships are now on sale at halifaxthunderbirds.comor by calling 902-334-2333 and include exclusive benefits such as special team access and VIP events. Fans can follow the team on social media @HFXThunderbirds to receive behind the scenes access as the team prepares to start its nine-game home season at the Scotiabank Centre this December.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from September 12, 2019
- New York Riptide Announce Inaugural Season Schedule - New York Riptide
- Vancouver Warriors Announce 2019-20 Schedule - Vancouver Warriors
- Colorado Mammoth Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule - Colorado Mammoth
- Rock Will Open Season at Home on December 7th - Toronto Rock
- New England Black Wolves Announce 2019-20 Schedule - New England Black Wolves
- Bandits Announce 2019-20 Schedule - Buffalo Bandits
- Knighthawks Announce 2019-20 Schedule - Rochester Knighthawks
- Roughnecks Announce 2019-20 Schedule - Calgary Roughnecks
- Seals Return for Second Season in December - San Diego Seals
- Rush Announce 2019-2020 Schedule - Saskatchewan Rush
- 2019-20 National Lacrosse League Schedule Released - NLL
- Thunderbirds Release Innagural Schedule - Halifax Thunderbirds
- Georgia Swarm Unveil 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule - Georgia Swarm
- Thunderbirds Name John Catalano President & CEO - Halifax Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.