Thunder Dominates Rivals
WICHITA, KS- The Wichita Thunder defeated the Oklahoma City Blazers 5-2 at the Kansas Coliseum on Friday night. Chris Shudo and Joel Hanson each scored two goals to lead the offense. Shudo scored the first goal of the game at 10:40 in the first period, and then gave the Thunder a 2-0 lead with another goal at 13:35. Stan Yanchishyn assited on both goals.
After neither team scored in the second, Joel Hanson found the back of the net at 6:17 in the third. The Blazers cut the lead to 3-1 on a goal from Jason Murfitt at 7:04, but Hanson scored again at 11:12 to re-extend the Thunder's lead. Bryan Nathe cashed in on the power play at 12:44 to make it 5-1 Wichita. Stacey Bauman scored in the closing minute for Oklahoma City, with the game already in hand for the Thunder.
Tim Boron earned the win for the second straight night, stopping 39 of 41 shots. The Thunder beat Andy Franck for the first time in eight tries over the last two seasons. Franck saved 19 of 24 while taking the loss.
Troy Ofukany finished the game with two assists. The Thunder went 5 for 5 on the penalty kill.
The Thunder continues their current homestand on Wednesday when the take on the Rapid City Rush at 7:05 p.m. For tickets, call the Thunder office at (316) 264-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2009
- Rockets hand Blazers loss - Oklahoma City Blazers
- IceRays complete perfect week with 4-2 win - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Colorado Hands Arizona Sixth-Straight Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Eagles, Penner Extend Winning Streaks - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas' third period rally beats Amarillo 4-3 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Scorpions Drop Game in Front of Season's Largest Crowd - New Mexico Scorpions
- Killer Bees a Buzz Kill vs. Bugs - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- RiverKings Beat Bucks, 3-Way Tie For Division Lead - Mississippi RiverKings
- 4-on-4 play hinders Gorillas in 4-3 loss to Brahmas - Amarillo Gorillas
- Odessa Wins Fourth Straight, 6-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Slow Start Dooms Bucks In 5-3 Loss - Laredo Bucks
- Thunder Dominates Rivals - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.