RiverKings Beat Bucks, 3-Way Tie For Division Lead
(Southaven, MS) - There's a three-way at the top of the Central Hockey League's Northeast Division, after the Mississippi RiverKings defeated the Laredo Bucks 5-3 on Saturday night at the DeSoto Civic Center. The win, coupled with losses by Oklahoma City and Bossier-Shreveport, puts all three teams tied for first place in the Northeast Division standings.
Mississippi jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first period, on goals from Dallas Steward, Bobby Chaumont, and Garrett Larson. The goals from Steward and Chaumont came just 28 seconds apart in the first 90 seconds of the game.
Jeff Bes answered for Laredo with a goal at 15:49 to make the first intermission score, 3-1 in favor of the RiverKings.
Two power play goals by the RiverKings broke open the game to a 5-1 lead after two periods of play. Joe Markusen and Derek Landmesser both tallied power play goals in the middle frame for Mississippi for the four goal advantage after two periods of play.
Laredo made the final margin more manageable for them with a goal from Darryl Smith followed by a red-lighter from Ryan Salvis with just 17 seconds remaining for the final score.
Mississippi scored twice on six power play chances in the victory, while Laredo was held scoreless in five power play opportunities.
The RiverKings out shot the Bucks 30-21 for the game, as winning goaltender Kevin Beech won his 20th game of the season (20-9-1) with an 18-save performance. Ryan Gibb (9-3-2) took the loss in goal for Laredo with a 25-save effort.
Mississippi moves its record to 25-13-1 with the win, while Laredo fell to 22-12-4.
Mississippi hosts its sixth annual "Face Off Field Trip" on Tuesday morning at 10:05 AM in their next game at the DeSoto Civic Center. Over 8,000 Shelby and DeSoto County students will watch the RiverKings take on the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs. For RiverKings' ticket information, call 662-342-1755 or email firstname.lastname@example.org today!
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2009
- Rockets hand Blazers loss - Oklahoma City Blazers
- IceRays complete perfect week with 4-2 win - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Colorado Hands Arizona Sixth-Straight Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Eagles, Penner Extend Winning Streaks - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas' third period rally beats Amarillo 4-3 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Scorpions Drop Game in Front of Season's Largest Crowd - New Mexico Scorpions
- Killer Bees a Buzz Kill vs. Bugs - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- RiverKings Beat Bucks, 3-Way Tie For Division Lead - Mississippi RiverKings
- 4-on-4 play hinders Gorillas in 4-3 loss to Brahmas - Amarillo Gorillas
- Odessa Wins Fourth Straight, 6-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Slow Start Dooms Bucks In 5-3 Loss - Laredo Bucks
- Thunder Dominates Rivals - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.