4-on-4 play hinders Gorillas in 4-3 loss to Brahmas
Amarillo, TX - After a successful start to the third period, the Amarillo Gorillas surrendered three goals in less than 2:30 of playing time to drop their second straight to the Texas Brahmas, 4-3 Saturday night.
Texas started the scoring when Jordan Cameron wristed a shot from the slot past a prostrated Mike Gorman in net for the Gorillas, giving the Brahmas an early 1-0 lead. Gorman found himself a casualty of contact in the crease, with a Texas player collapsed upon him shortly before the goal was scored.
The Gorillas bounced back in the second period, after Travis Lisabeth took a pass from Alex Greig and wristed a shot past Texas netminder Brett Jaeger, tying the game at one.
Following a Brahmas penalty late in the second period, the Gorillas found themselves on the power play to begin the third frame. Stuart MacRae popped a rebound past Jaeger, giving the hosts a 2-1 advantage. The lead would increase after a 5-on-3 goal by Jake Morissette, marking the eighth time this season the Gorillas have managed multiple power play goals in one game.
Texas would battle back against Amarillo, who wore special Make-A-Wish Foundation jerseys in the game. Kevin McLeod scored a power play goal at 11:12 of the third to pull his team within one. He followed up that score with a 4-on-4 goal at 13:02 of the third, tying the game for Texas at three. Just 38 seconds later, during the same 4-on-4 period of play, Tyler Skworchinski found himself on a breakaway, shooting the puck off the post and into the net behind Gorman for the eventual game-winning goal.
Gorman (8-14-1) stopped 37 of 41 shots as Amarillo (10-26-1) found themselves on the wrong side of the box score for the eighth consecutive game. The Gorillas will be back in action Wednesday night as they travel to Loveland, CO to take on the CHL-leading Colorado Eagles. Amarillo's first road game in nearly two weeks will face off at 8:05 Central Time, with radio coverage in the Amarillo area on 1010 AM "The Canyon" and a free video feed online through the CHL Network.
The AMARILLO GORILLAS are celebrating their seventh season in "The Jungle" by offering special ticket prices to groups and parties! Call the Gorillas ticketing office at (806) 242-PUCK (7825) for more information, or drop by the Gorillas' new office at 901 S. Buchanan in downtown Amarillo.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2009
- Rockets hand Blazers loss - Oklahoma City Blazers
- IceRays complete perfect week with 4-2 win - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Colorado Hands Arizona Sixth-Straight Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Eagles, Penner Extend Winning Streaks - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas' third period rally beats Amarillo 4-3 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Scorpions Drop Game in Front of Season's Largest Crowd - New Mexico Scorpions
- Killer Bees a Buzz Kill vs. Bugs - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- RiverKings Beat Bucks, 3-Way Tie For Division Lead - Mississippi RiverKings
- 4-on-4 play hinders Gorillas in 4-3 loss to Brahmas - Amarillo Gorillas
- Odessa Wins Fourth Straight, 6-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Slow Start Dooms Bucks In 5-3 Loss - Laredo Bucks
- Thunder Dominates Rivals - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.