Scorpions Drop Game in Front of Season's Largest Crowd
[RIO RANCHO, N.M.]-The Corpus Christi IceRays grabbed a 4-2 victory over New Mexico on Saturday night. The loss came in front of the 4,528 fans at the Santa Ana Star Center, the largest crowd of the season for Scorpions.
Former Scorpion Chris Richards scored on the power play giving the IceRays a 1-0 lead. Chris Robertson tied the game with his third goal in two games.
New Mexico got on the board early in the second period. Aaron MacInnis' shot found the net just three seconds into a power play giving his team a 2-1 lead.
Ryan Bennett knotted the game at two as he scored eight seconds into his team's man advantage. Curtis Huppe then took over with two rebound goals over the next two minutes making it 4-2 Corpus Christi.
Saturday night's game was American Cancer and Faith Night. The Scorpions wore special jerseys that were auctioned off following the game with the proceeds benefitting Relay for Life.
The Scorpions head to the road next weekend for a pair of games against the Eagles. Catch all the action Friday and Saturday on the CHL Network starting at 7 p.m.
New Mexico returns to the Santa Ana Star Center the weekend of February 6th. The first 1,500 fans through the gates receive pucks courtesy of the City of Rio Rancho. The puck drops at 7:15 p.m.
The following night is "Salute to the Badges Night." Prior to the game, enjoy the annual "Cops vs. Fire" battle starting at 4:30 p.m. The Scorpions will auction off special jerseys worn during their game to benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central New Mexico.
Group tickets specials are available for as little as 10 people. Call the Scorpions' office at (505) 881-PUCK (7825) or visit www.scorpionshockey.com to find out more information about your professional hockey team. The Scorpions have been named the 2008 Rio Rancho Rotary Business of the Year.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2009
- Rockets hand Blazers loss - Oklahoma City Blazers
- IceRays complete perfect week with 4-2 win - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Colorado Hands Arizona Sixth-Straight Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Eagles, Penner Extend Winning Streaks - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas' third period rally beats Amarillo 4-3 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Scorpions Drop Game in Front of Season's Largest Crowd - New Mexico Scorpions
- Killer Bees a Buzz Kill vs. Bugs - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- RiverKings Beat Bucks, 3-Way Tie For Division Lead - Mississippi RiverKings
- 4-on-4 play hinders Gorillas in 4-3 loss to Brahmas - Amarillo Gorillas
- Odessa Wins Fourth Straight, 6-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Slow Start Dooms Bucks In 5-3 Loss - Laredo Bucks
- Thunder Dominates Rivals - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.