Slow Start Dooms Bucks In 5-3 Loss
SOUTHAVEN, MS- The Laredo Bucks of the Central Hockey League fell to the Mississippi Riverkings 5-3 Saturday night at the DeSoto Civic Center. With the Bucks loss combined with the Texas Brahmas win Saturday, the Bucks (22-12-4, 48pts) fall a season-high eight points behind the Brahmas for first in the Southeast Division.
The Bucks are 1-6-3 in their last 10 road games.
The Riverkings jumped out of the gates quickly, as they scored two goals in the first 1:32 of the game en route to a 3-1 lead after one.
Dallas Steward scored just 1:04 into the game, with Bobby Chaumont scoring just 28 seconds later at the 1:32 mark to give the Kings a 2-0 lead.
Laredo has now given up the first goal in 11 of their last 14 games.
The former Buck Chaumont picked up three points (1-2=3) in the win for Mississippi.
Garrett Larson would fire home a slap shot from the top of the left circle to give Mississippi a 3-0 advantage at the 11:32 mark of the first.
The Bucks (6-8-3 on the road) got on the board on an odd man rush when Jeff Bes took a drop pass from Darryl Smith at the slot and rifled a shot past Kevin Beech to make it 3-1 Kings. The strike was Bes' 14th of the year, with Smith (24) and Alex Goupil (22) picking up assists.
Laredo was outshot 11-8 in the first period.
The Riverkings (25-13-1) upped their lead to 5-1 after 40 minutes, as they tallied two power-play goals in the second period.
8:27 into the second Joe Markusen sent a slap shot from just outside the left circle that went above Ryan Gibb's shoulder and into the back of the net. The Bucks argued that the puck did not go in, but the call stood up to make it 4-1 Riverkings.
Mississippi would strike on the power-play just 27 seconds later, as Derek Landmesser hammered home a long rebound from the right circle past Gibb to make it 5-1.
Laredo was once again outshot in the period, this time by a count of 14-6.
The Bucks would score twice in the third period, as Rick Kozak (8:39) and Ryan Salvis (19:43) scored to make it 5-3 Riverkings.
Riverkings goaltender Kevin Beech picked up his 20 win ofh the season Saturday, as he set aside 18 of 21 Laredo shots.
Gibb took the loss as he stopped 25 of 30 Riverkings attempts.
The Bucks lost both games to the Riverkings this season by a 5-3 score.
The Bucks will travel to play Bossier-Shreveport Monday night at 7:05pm.
The Bucks will return home next Friday January 30th, when they host the Killer Bees in a Southeast Division match up. Group tickets start at just $10, call 718-BUCK (2825) to order.
*President's Day Jersey Auction Jan. 31st*
The Bucks will wear their Annual President's Day Jersey's on Saturday January 31 when they host Corpus Christi at the LEC. The Jersey's will be auctioned off after the game.
Group tickets start at just $10, call 718-BUCK (2825) to order.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2009
- Rockets hand Blazers loss - Oklahoma City Blazers
- IceRays complete perfect week with 4-2 win - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Colorado Hands Arizona Sixth-Straight Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Eagles, Penner Extend Winning Streaks - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas' third period rally beats Amarillo 4-3 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Scorpions Drop Game in Front of Season's Largest Crowd - New Mexico Scorpions
- Killer Bees a Buzz Kill vs. Bugs - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- RiverKings Beat Bucks, 3-Way Tie For Division Lead - Mississippi RiverKings
- 4-on-4 play hinders Gorillas in 4-3 loss to Brahmas - Amarillo Gorillas
- Odessa Wins Fourth Straight, 6-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Slow Start Dooms Bucks In 5-3 Loss - Laredo Bucks
- Thunder Dominates Rivals - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.