Three Reign FC Players Named to Australia's World Cup Roster
Three Reign FC Players Named to Australia's World Cup RosterTacoma, WA - Three Reign FC players will represent Australia at the Women's World Cup in France, the Football Federation of Australia announced today. Goalkeeper Lydia Williams, defender Steph Catley and midfielder Elise Kellond-Knight will join the Matildas as they search for their first World Cup title.
Williams has 70 caps for Australia dating back to her debut in 2005. The keeper has helped the Matildas to one Women's Asian Cup in 2010 and two runner-up finishes in 2018 and 2014. Williams has seen action for Australia at the 2015 and 2011 World Cups and made the roster without playing at the 2007 World Cup in China. Williams also made three starts for the Matildas at the 2016 Olympic Games.
"It's always an honor to be called into camp to represent my country, but obviously the World Cup is the pinnacle of football competition," Williams said. "I'm over the moon and so excited to be a part of the Australian team to compete in France."
Catley has 67 caps for Australia since her debut in 2012. The defender made five appearances for Australia in the 2015 Women's World Cup before being eliminated in the quarter-finals by eventual runner-up Japan.
"Mostly I feel proud," Catley said of her selection. "It's a moment and a feeling that you can't really put into words. Every time I represent Australia, it's an honor. And to be chosen to do that at a World Cup for the second time, amongst so many other incredible players, I'm just really excited."
Kellond-Knight's 106 caps ranks sixth all-time for the Matildas, stretching back to her debut as a 16-year-old in 2007. The midfielder has previously represented Australia at the 2015 and 2011 World Cups, as well as the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
"It's always an honor to get a call-up for the national team, even if it's just for a cap or a tournament, it's the same feeling of pride," Kellond-Knight said. "But for a World Cup, it's special. It'll be my third. That's quite significant. I think I can give a lot of experience to the squad. I think this group of players have our best shot of actually walking away with some sort of silverware at the tournament. It's a real opportunity to be a part of the team."
No. 6 Australia is the top-ranked team in Group C. The Matildas will play No. 10 Brazil, No. 15 Italy and No. 53 Jamaica in the group stage. Australia defeated Brazil 1-0 in the Round of 16 at the 2015 tournament before losing to eventual runner-up Japan in the quarterfinals.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from May 13, 2019
- Three Reign FC Players Named to Australia's World Cup Roster - Reign FC
- Australia Names Houston Dash Defender Clare Polkinghorne to 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup Roster - Houston Dash
- Amy Harrison and Chloe Logarzo Named to Australian Roster for World Cup - Washington Spirit
- Carpenter, Foord, Raso Named to Australia Women's National Team Roster for 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - Portland Thorns FC
- Orlando Pride's Alanna Kennedy, Emily Van Egmond Named to Australia's 2019 Women's World Cup Roster - Orlando Pride
- Sam Kerr Selected to Australia's World Cup Squad - Chicago Red Stars
- Utah Royals FC Acquire Forward Mallory Weber off NWSL Waiver Wire - Utah Royals FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reign FC Stories
- Fishlock Goal Secures 1-1 Draw with Spirit
- Reign FC Faces Washington Spirit in Pride Match Tonight
- Reign FC Add Two to Roster in Advance of Spirit Clash this Saturday Night
- Reign FC World Cup Viewing Parties in Tacoma and Seattle
- Reign FC Concedes Late Equalizer in Draw with Houston Dash