Australia Names Houston Dash Defender Clare Polkinghorne to 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup Roster
HOUSTON - Houston Dash defender Clare Polkinghorne was named to the Australian Women's National Team roster by head coach Ante Milicic for the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup, the Football Association announced today.
Polkinghorne is set to represent the Matildas in the World Cup for the third time. Australia, currently ranked sixth in the world by FIFA, will see their first action in the tournament on June 9 against Group C contender Italy at Stade du Hainaut in Valenciennes, France. Four days later, the Matildas will face Brazil at Stade des Alpes in Grenoble. They will close group play against Jamaica on June 18 in Stade des Alpes.
Polkinghorne has been part of Australia's national team since 2006, playing more than 100 games and scoring nine goals. With the Matildas, the defender won the Tournament of Nations in 2017 defeating the top-ranked United States Women's National Team. She was also part of the squad that won the Cup of Nations in 2019.
As the former captain of Brisbane Roar FC, Polkinghorne became the first player to reach 100 games in the W-League in 2017. Polkinghorne was also named the 2018-2019 W-League Player of the Year by Brisbane Roar FC.
Polkinghorne's Australian and Dash teammate Kyah Simon will travel with the team on standby. Both players will depart to join the national team following Sunday's Dash home game against the Chicago Red Stars.
Australia v. Italy
Sunday, June 9 - 6 a.m. CST
Stade du Hainaut, Valenciennes
Australia v. Brazil
Thursday, June 13 - 11 a.m. CST
Stade des Alpes, Grenoble
Australia v. Jamaica
Tuesday, June 18 - 2 p.m. CST
Stade des Alpes, Grenoble
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from May 13, 2019
- Three Reign FC Players Named to Australia's World Cup Roster - Reign FC
- Australia Names Houston Dash Defender Clare Polkinghorne to 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup Roster - Houston Dash
- Amy Harrison and Chloe Logarzo Named to Australian Roster for World Cup - Washington Spirit
- Carpenter, Foord, Raso Named to Australia Women's National Team Roster for 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - Portland Thorns FC
- Orlando Pride's Alanna Kennedy, Emily Van Egmond Named to Australia's 2019 Women's World Cup Roster - Orlando Pride
- Sam Kerr Selected to Australia's World Cup Squad - Chicago Red Stars
- Utah Royals FC Acquire Forward Mallory Weber off NWSL Waiver Wire - Utah Royals FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Second-Half Push Gives Dash 2-2 Draw with Orlando Pride
- Three Points: Dash Host the Pride for the Second Time this Season
- Houston Dash Announce Time Change for Game against Sky Blue FC
- Houston Dash Forward Kayla McCoy to Miss 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup Due to Knee Injury
- Houston Dash Remain Unbeaten on the Road After Late Equalizer in Washington