Three Reign FC Players Join Melbourne City for W-League Season
TACOMA, WASH. - Reign FC's Steph Catley, Lydia Williams and Lauren Barnes will join Australian W-League side Melbourne City for the 2019-20 season. All three players were a part of City's squad for at least the past three years.
Melbourne City are one of the most successful clubs in the league's history, having won a record-tying three Grand Finals and one Premiership, awarded to the best team during the regular season.
Catley rejoins City for her fifth season with the club and 11th W-League season overall. The defender made seven appearances for Melbourne City last year, scoring one goal. The fullback started all 15 of her appearances for Reign FC in 2019, finishing with two assists.
Catley began her professional career in the W-League in 2009, when she made her debut for Melbourne Victory as a 15-year-old. The 25-year-old has won the W-League Championship four times and claimed the Premiership with City in 2015-16.
Barnes returns for her fourth season with Melbourne City, having played the full 90 in all 12 matches for the side last season as it narrowly missed the playoffs on goal differential. Barnes started 23 matches for Reign FC in 2019, breaking the 2,000 minute mark for the first time in her career.
The 30-year-old centerback has won three W-League Championships, having twice hoisted the trophy with City and once with the Melbourne Victory in 2013-14.
Williams also returns to Melbourne City for her fourth season. Williams played one match for Reign FC in 2019, missing time with Australia during the Women's World Cup and being placed on the 45-day Disabled List with an ankle injury.
The keeper has played eight seasons in the W-League, winning the Championship twice with City and once with Canberra United in 2011-12.
Melbourne City begin their season on the road against the Newcastle Jets on Saturday, November 16 at 11:00 p.m. PT. Select W-League matches can be seen throughout the season on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from November 4, 2019
- Houston Dash Announce Roster Update After 2019 NWSL Season - Houston Dash
- North Carolina Courage Announce Roster Update Following the Team's 2019 NWSL Championship Victory - North Carolina Courage
- Thorns FC Exercise 2020 Contract Options on Nine Players - Portland Thorns FC
- Orlando Pride Announces End of Year Roster Statuses Entering 2019-20 Offseason - Orlando Pride
- Sky Blue FC Exercises Contract Options on 23 Players - Sky Blue FC
- Washington Spirit Announce Roster Updates for 2019 Off-Season - Washington Spirit
- Nineteen NWSL Players Available on the Re-Entry Wire - NWSL
- Three Reign FC Players Join Melbourne City for W-League Season - Reign FC
- Reign FC Exercises Contract Options of 23 Players and Offers New Contracts to 7 Players - Reign FC
- Assistant Coach Milan Ivanovic Departs Reign FC to Join U.S. WNT Staff - Reign FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.