Tacoma Takes Tilt Over 'Topes, 5-2
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The Tacoma Rainiers (58-61) opened their three game set against the Albuquerque Isotopes (55-65) with a 5-2 victory on Monday night at Isotopes Park.
Catcher David Freitas and shortstop Zach Vincej both finished the night going 2-for-4 for the Rainiers only two multi-hit outings - both scored a run, and Freitas checked in with a double. Center fielder Ben Gamel went 1-for-4 with a two-run triple in the fifth inning, while second baseman Gordon Beckham (1x2, R, RBI, 2 BB) reached base three times.
Tacoma starter Austin Hutchison - making his first career start at the Triple-A level - worked five brilliant outings for the Rainiers, allowing just one run on eight hits. Hutchison issued two walks and struck out two on 82 pitches (52 strikes).
Ryan Garton (1.2 IP) and Nick Rumbelow (2.1 IP) polished off the game out of the Rainiers bullpen, combining to allow just one run on three hits while striking out a pair. Rumbelow worked the final seven outs to earn his second save of the season.
Tacoma and Albuquerque continue the series on Tuesday night at 5:35 p.m. PT. Rainiers right-hander Bryan Evans (4-2, 4.37) and Isotopes righty Jeff Hoffman (5-7, 4.52) will square off.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2018 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 14, 2018
- Sounds Match Franchise Record with 15th Straight Win - Nashville Sounds
- Sounds Continue Streaking with 8-4 Win over Express - Round Rock Express
- Iowa and Colorado Springs Suspended - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Topped in Extra Innings, 4-3 - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cakes Win in Ten - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 3 Millionth Storm Chasers Fan Passes Through Werner Park Gates - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Round Rock Express (53-67) at Nashville Sounds (65-55) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (74-46) vs New Orleans Baby Cakes (58-61) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 14, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Tacoma Takes Tilt Over 'Topes, 5-2 - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats blanked despite strong pitching performance - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Blank River Cats in Series Opener - Reno Aces
- Fresno cruises to a 4-0 win over Vegas thanks to Emanuel's gem - Fresno Grizzlies
- Triunfel Walks off in Big Win - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Ashley Schutt Named Pacific Coast League Woman Executive of the Year
- 2018 Tacoma Rainiers Season Review
- Tacoma Rainiers and Seattle Mariners Announce Four-Year Extension of Player Development Contract
- Rainiers Wrap Season With 5-4 Victory Over Chihuahuas
- Rainiers Toppled By Chihuahuas, 9-4