Swamp Rabbits Weekly
The Greenville Swamp Rabbits appear to have run into a moment in time where everyone in their division is playing at the top of their game, and that every goalie is standing on his head against them. That fact was no more prevalent than this past week, where goalies posted a .965 save percentage against them, and continued to frustrate what has been an offense that has gone icy cold.
The week began with a mid-week tussle in Atlanta, and goaltender Sean Bonar did what he does lately- absolutely shut the door. The Gladiators have been on a recent tear, and it showed, as they picked up the 3-0 win by dominating possession (outshot 43-20), and dominating special teams (3-for-5 power play). The Swamp Rabbits could only muster single-digit shots on goal, while allowing Atlanta to run rampant.
The Swamp Rabbits had to battle from two goals down against the Orlando Solar Bears on Friday, and showed serious signs of life late. Kamerin Nault, the newcomer from the University of Manitoba, scored late in the second period to get the game within one, and tied the game at two, both by going to the net and finding a way. However, Orlando scored with just over a minute left to break Greenville's heart, and suffer another loss.
The league's best team came into town the following night, and they were looking for the series sweep. They got it. The Florida Everblades are the best team in just about every statistical category on the season, and it showed. Florida raced out to a 4-0 lead halfway through regulation, and sat back defensively. Nault scored again for Greenville and snapped a power play scoreless streak that dated back to late December, but otherwise, it was the 'Blades who swept the 10-game season series.
1/30 @ Atlanta Gladiators - L 4-0
2/1 vs. Orlando Solar Bears - L 4-2
2/2 vs. Florida Everblades - L 4-1
FAMILY DENTAL HEALTH PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Kamerin Nault - 3 GP | 3 G - 0 A - 3 P
A developing power forward that is strong, has great hands, and a nose for the net was far and above the best Greenville Swamp Rabbits player on the ice over the past week. Kamerin Nault scored all three goals over the past week, and showed flashes of complete dominance on the ice. Since joining the club for his debut on January 25, he has scored 4 points in 5 games, making him an intriguing piece of the puzzle moving forward.
The key to breaking the losing streak for Greenville starts and ends with getting the power play up and running again. The confidence on the man advantage showed signs of life, and posted a power play tally on Saturday night against Florida. Will that trend continue tonight against Atlanta?
There are teams, like tonight's opponent, who have not even seen a team outside of their division yet. Greenville will see the North Division this week, with games against Worcester, Maine and Manchester in back-to-back-to-back days. The Swamp Rabbits split with Worcester in the only two games they saw against a North Division foe.
Even in the midst of this losing streak, analytically speaking, the Swamp Rabbits are in a better position now than ever. Once last in shots for, Greenville has averaged three more shots on goal in regulation on average than before the losing streak, and has improved its defense by allowing, on average, one shot fewer.
After tonight's game, the Swamp Rabbits will end a season-long homestand and take to the road. Seven of the next eight games will be on the road, and four of those eight games will be against the North Division, with one home date against the Newfoundland Growlers tossed in there.
Monday, February 4 | vs. Atlanta Gladiators | 7:00 p.m.
Friday, February 8 | @ Worcester Railers | 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, February 9 | @ Maine Mariners | 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, February 10 | @ Manchester Monarchs | 3:00 p.m.
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
Florida Everblades (32-9-5) - 69 pts
South Carolina Stingrays (25-18-2) - 52 pts
Jacksonville Icemen (24-20-2) - 50 pts
Orlando Solar Bears (22-18-3) - 47 pts
Norfolk Admirals (18-22-6) - 42 pts
Atlanta Gladiators (16-19-7) - 39 pts
Greenville Swamp Rabbits (14-29-5) - 33 pts
Images from this story
Greenville Swamp Rabbits forward Dylan Vander Esch
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 4, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Snap Streak, Notch Dramatic Win over Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Point Streak Improves to 10 Games in OT Loss to Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Add Defenseman Miller to Roster - Florida Everblades
- Royals Host Pink in the Rink Saturday - Reading Royals
- Brad McClure Recalled to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Manchester Monarchs Partner with CMC to Host Pink in the Rink - Manchester Monarchs
- Stingrays Weekly Report - February 4 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Helvig Named Howies Hockey Tape ECHL Rookie of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Florida's Helvig Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, February 4 - Wheeling Nailers
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 17 - Indy Fuel
- Royals Announce Battle of the Badges February 24 Game Details - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Weekly - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Return Home for 6 Games - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Weekly, February 4th - Wichita Thunder
- Atlanta's Bonar Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Sean Bonar Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Atlanta Gladiators
- 'Blades Weekly: Eastern Conference Final Rematch Lies Ahead - Florida Everblades
- Komets Gain Shootout Point in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Fort Wayne Komets
- Johansson Returns to Cincinnati - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 4 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Swamp Rabbits Re-Sign Brien Diffley
- Swamp Rabbits and Local Youth Organize "Cans for Kids" Food Drive for Loaves & Fishes
- Swamp Rabbits Present Qualifying Offers to Seven
- Andrew Lord Named Head Coach of Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits Part Ways with Head Coach Kevin Kerr