'Blades Weekly: Eastern Conference Final Rematch Lies Ahead
ESTERO, Fla. - With first place in the ECHL still in their possession, the Florida Everblades prepare to host a North Division opponent for the first time this season in the first of two consecutive weekends at home.
Last week, Florida (32-9-5-0, 69 pts.) concluded a stretch of three straight games against Jacksonville with a thrilling, come-from-behind victory on home ice. Down by three goals on two separate occasions in the second period on Tuesday, the 'Blades scored the final four goals of the game to beat the Icemen and earn their largest comeback win since March 26, 2017. Florida then topped Greenville, 4-1, in the weekend finale to finish the regular season series against the Swamp Rabbits with a 10-0-0-0 record.
This week, Florida will face a North Division team for just the second time this season, the first games against a North Division foe since the opening weekend of the year. This week's three-game series with the Adirondack Thunder is also the first set of games between the two teams since Florida bested the Thunder, 4-1, in the Eastern Conference Final last year.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
Jan. 29 | Jacksonville Icemen - W, 5-4
Jan. 31 | at Atlanta Gladiators - L, 1-2
Feb. 2 | at Greenville Swamp Rabbits - W, 4-1
THIS WEEK'S GAMES
Feb. 6 | vs. Adirondack Thunder | 7:30 p.m. - Hertz Arena
Feb. 8 | vs. Adirondack Thunder | 7:30 p.m. - Hertz Arena
Feb. 9 | vs. Adirondack Thunder | 7 p.m. - Hertz Arena
Rookie goaltender Jeremy Helvig made 23 saves in a 4-1 win over Greenville on Saturday and has posted 12 straight wins, which is tied for the fourth-longest personal win streak by a goaltender in league history.
Alternate captain Joe Cox leads the league with a plus-minus rating of +39, ranks third in the league with 49 points and is tied for fourth in the league with 22 goals.
The reigning AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month, Logan Roe leads all ECHL defensemen with his +38 rating and has been an even or better rating in 23 straight games.
Goaltender Jamie Phillips is tied for second among ECHL goaltenders with 17 wins this season.
Florida continues to pace the league both offensively and defensively. The 'Blades lead the league in both goals for per game (3.96) and goals against per game (2.33).
With Joe Cox's shorthanded goal on Saturday, the Everblades are now first in the ECHL with eight shorthanded tallies in road games.
Florida's goal differential of +75 is the best in the ECHL and is 13 goals better than the next best goal differential, Cincinnati's +62.
Bouncing back has been a strength for the Everblades this season. After falling in Atlanta on Thursday, Florida responded with a 4-1 win over Greenville on Saturday to improve its record to 12-1-1 in games following either a regulation or overtime loss.
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
Florida Everblades: 32-9-5-0, 69 PTS
South Carolina Stingrays: 25-18-2-0, 52 PTS
Jacksonville Icemen: 24-20-1-1, 50 PTS
Orlando Solar Bears: 22-18-3-0, 47 PTS
Norfolk Admirals: 18-22-3-3, 42 PTS
Atlanta Gladiators: 16-19-6-1, 39 PTS
Greenville Swamp Rabbits: 14-29-3-2, 33 PTS
G: Joe Cox (22)
A: Cox (27)
PTS: Cox (49)
+/-: Cox (+39)
SH: John McCarron (153)
GAA: Jeremy Helvig (2.16)
SV%: Helvig (.918)
$2 Wednesday (Feb. 6) - It's another $2 Wednesday! Beer, wine and hot dogs are just $2 all night courtesy of Bud Light, Barefoot Wine, and John Morrell.
Bottomless Popcorn Friday (Feb. 8) - It's a Bottomless Popcorn and Kids Eat Free in Breakaway Sports Pub Friday when the 'Blades host the Adirondack Thunder!
Pink in the Rink (Feb. 9) - Help the 'Blades in the fight against breast cancer for the annual Pink in the Rink presented by Radiology Regional! The Everblades will wear specialty jerseys during the game that will be auctioned off postgame to benefit 4 Words Foundation. The night gets underway with a free pregame tailgate from 5-7 p.m. and features live music from Brandon Maddox.
EVERBLADES 2018-19 BROADCAST INFORMATION
Catch all the exciting action of Everblades hockey on WJBX News, Talk & More on 101.5 FM, 104.3 FM, 770 AM on the radio waves, or listen for FREE online.
Fans can also watch the games on a subscription basis on ECHL.TV.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades T-Shirt!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 4, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Snap Streak, Notch Dramatic Win over Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Point Streak Improves to 10 Games in OT Loss to Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Add Defenseman Miller to Roster - Florida Everblades
- Royals Host Pink in the Rink Saturday - Reading Royals
- Brad McClure Recalled to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Manchester Monarchs Partner with CMC to Host Pink in the Rink - Manchester Monarchs
- Stingrays Weekly Report - February 4 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Helvig Named Howies Hockey Tape ECHL Rookie of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Florida's Helvig Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, February 4 - Wheeling Nailers
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 17 - Indy Fuel
- Royals Announce Battle of the Badges February 24 Game Details - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Weekly - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Return Home for 6 Games - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Weekly, February 4th - Wichita Thunder
- Atlanta's Bonar Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Sean Bonar Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Atlanta Gladiators
- 'Blades Weekly: Eastern Conference Final Rematch Lies Ahead - Florida Everblades
- Komets Gain Shootout Point in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Fort Wayne Komets
- Johansson Returns to Cincinnati - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 4 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.