Florida's Helvig Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month
February 4, 2019 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. - Florida Everblades' goaltender Jeremy Helvig has been named the Howies Hockey Tape ECHL Rookie of the Month for January.
Helvig went 6-0-0 with three shutouts, a 1.22 goals-against average and a save percentage of .954 in seven appearances during the month.
The 21-year-old allowed two goals or less in six appearances and made at least 24 saves four times. Helvig recorded his first professional shutout on Jan. 11 against Greenville, and followed that up with two additional shutouts in his next three appearances, on Jan. 16 at Rapid City and on Jan. 25 against Jacksonville.
A fifth-round selection (134th overall) of the Carolina Hurricanes in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, Helvig is 15-3-3 in 22 appearances with the Everblades this season. He is tied for second in the ECHL with three shutouts, ranks third with a 2.16 goals-against average and is ninth with a .918 save percentage. He is on a personal 12-game winning streak dating back to Dec. 5, which is tied for the fourth-longest streak in ECHL history.
Prior to turning pro, Helvig appeared in 156 career games with Kingston of the Ontario Hockey League, compiling an overall record of 79-49-9 with 10 shutouts, a 2.75 goals-against average and a save percentage of .910.
In recognition of his accomplishment, Howies Hockey Tape will present Jeremy Helvig with a Howies Prize Pack during an on-ice ceremony at an upcoming Everblades' home game.
Runners Up: Chris Collins, Kalamazoo (5 gp, 6g, 8a, 14 pts.) and Yushiroh Hirano, Wheeling (12 gp, 7g, 10a, 17 pts.).
Also Nominated: John Edwardh (Adirondack), Braylon Shmyr (Allen), Anthony Petruzzelli (Fort Wayne), Brad McClure (Idaho), Brett Welychka (Indy), Marcus Power (Newfoundland), Mathieu Foget (Orlando), Kevin McKernan (South Carolina) and Tyler Spezia (Toledo).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 4, 2019
- Swamp Rabbits Snap Streak, Notch Dramatic Win over Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Point Streak Improves to 10 Games in OT Loss to Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Add Defenseman Miller to Roster - Florida Everblades
- Royals Host Pink in the Rink Saturday - Reading Royals
- Brad McClure Recalled to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Manchester Monarchs Partner with CMC to Host Pink in the Rink - Manchester Monarchs
- Stingrays Weekly Report - February 4 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Helvig Named Howies Hockey Tape ECHL Rookie of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Florida's Helvig Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, February 4 - Wheeling Nailers
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 17 - Indy Fuel
- Royals Announce Battle of the Badges February 24 Game Details - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Weekly - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Return Home for 6 Games - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Weekly, February 4th - Wichita Thunder
- Atlanta's Bonar Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Sean Bonar Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Atlanta Gladiators
- 'Blades Weekly: Eastern Conference Final Rematch Lies Ahead - Florida Everblades
- Komets Gain Shootout Point in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Fort Wayne Komets
- Johansson Returns to Cincinnati - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 4 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.