Swamp Rabbits' All-Out Assault Falls Short
DULUTH, Ga. - The Greenville Swamp Rabbits pumped 47 shots on goal, including 22 in the third period, but could not solve a former teammate. Chris Nell made 46 saves in the Atlanta crease as the Gladiators defeated the Swamp Rabbits 3-1 on Thursday night at the Infinite Energy Arena.
Down by a pair heading into the third period, the Swamp Rabbits fired everything but the kitchen sink at Nell, who spent three different stints in the Upstate. Two of his five wins on the season have come at the Swamp Rabbits' expense.
The 47 saves made by Nell were the most made by him since he made 55 in a Greenville uniform against the Florida Everblades on December 29, 2018.
Atlanta utilized a 39-second span in the first period to turn the game on its head, and bring the momentum to their side. Down by one, the Glads converted on a three-on-two break. Quick passes by Avery Peterson and Joel Messner set up Scott Conway for the goal to tie the game.
Tommy Marchin converted on the ensuing shift on a rebound opportunity left in front of Ryan Bednard's crease and tapped the puck through the five hole for the game-winning goal.
Avery Peterson's one-timer off the rush put the game further out of reach heading into the third period.
The Swamp Rabbits jumped out to an early lead and looked to have early shooting success. On just the third shot on goal of the game for Greenville, a passing play off of the cycle was successful. Cédric Lacroix found Patrick Bajkov sneaking in between the circles, and his shot hit paydirt for his third goal in the last two games at the 2:31 mark.
With Logan Nelson in the box for hooking, the Swamp Rabbits pulled Bednard for the extra attacker. Greenville continued to get shots to the net, but Nell continued to hold the fort. The Glads rallied, even after a slap shot by Matt Marcinew caught an Atlanta defender in the face and caused a lengthy delay. Atlanta ran down the clock the rest of the way.
Neither team could strike on the man advantage on Thursday night.
The Greenville Swamp Rabbits celebrate Dave & Buster's Night on Friday, January 10 against the Florida Everblades. Power Packs, which include 4 tickets, 4 power cards, and a free Dave & Buster's appetizer, are on sale for just $60. Go to swamprabbits.com/daveandbusters to secure yours.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 9, 2020
- Roadrunners Call-Up Three from Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Swamp Rabbits' All-Out Assault Falls Short - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nell's Brilliant Night Leads Glads to Win over Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Wichita. Jan 10, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Oilers Sign Forward Jacob Benson - Tulsa Oilers
- Lightning Reassign Lipanov to AHL Syracuse - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Sign Former NHL Defender Dylan Olsen - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - January 9 - ECHL
- Utah Grizzlies Guns N' Hoses 2020 Saturday, January 18th - Utah Grizzlies
- Broadcasters Announced for ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Allen Americans Broadcaster Tommy Daniels Selected as Play by Play Voice for the Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic - Allen Americans
- Broadcasters Named for 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic Presented by Toyota - ECHL
- Dave & Buster's Night Tomorrow - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Kick off Road Trip with 4-1 Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.