Surge Fall Short on Friday Night at Riverfront Stadium
Wichita, KS- The Wind Surge fell short to the Springfield Cardinals 5-3 on Friday in front of 4,148 fans. The Wind Surge held the lead in the seventh inning but failed to hold on and ended their four-game winning streak.
The Surge trailed 2-1 in the seventh inning and rallied as Austin Martin hit an RBI single to tie the game 2-2. Wichita went on to take a 3-2 lead from a wild pitch by Springfield reliever Michael Brettell.
The Cardinals scored three runs in the eighth inning from a Jordan Walker RBI-double and a two-run homer from Todd Lott that gave Springfield a 5-3 lead.
Wichita struck first on back-to-back doubles from Michael Helman and Dennis Ortega that gave the Surge an early 1-0 lead in the second inning. Helman recorded three of Wichita's six hits in the ballgame and finished the day three for four.
Trevor Larnach on a rehab assignment had no hits in three at bats with a walk.
Notes: Austin Martin tallied his 18th stolen base and is second in the Texas League in stolen bases...Michael Helman extended his hit streak to eleven games...Wichita remains in first place in the Texas League...Wichita is 0-1 when wearing Tumba Vacas uniforms. The Surge fall to 17-2 after scoring the first run.
Coming Up: The Wind Surge will resume action tomorrow; May 21st, first pitch is at 6:05 and gates open at 5:00. Chris Vallimont will get the start for Wichita and Kyle Leahy will take the hill for the Cardinals. The game will be carried by radio ESPN Wichita 92.3, MiLB.com and Windsurge.com
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 20, 2022
- Four-Run 6th Inning Carries Missions Past RockHounds - San Antonio Missions
- Stoudt Pitching Leads Travs to Fourth Straight Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Drillers Blank Sod Poodles in 3-0 Win - Tulsa Drillers
- Hooks Score Nine in Fourth, Riders Fall on Friday - Frisco RoughRiders
- Cecconi's Quality Start Not Enough in Shutout - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Naturals Drop Fifth Straight in 2-1 Loss to Travelers - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Lott Lifts Cards to 5-3 Win on Friday - Springfield Cardinals
- Hooks Jump out Early & Hold on Late - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Surge Fall Short on Friday Night at Riverfront Stadium - Wichita Wind Surge
- RoughRiders to Honor Fallen 2d Lt Anthony Wentz on Armed Forces Day - Frisco RoughRiders
- Homering Hooks Take Series Lead - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Lawson and Morejon Look Sharp, Flying Chanclas Shutout by Midland - San Antonio Missions
- Soddies Double up Drillers in 10-5 Victory - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Drillers' Three Homers Not Enough in Amarillo - Tulsa Drillers
- Wichita Beats Springfield Behind Three Home Runs - Wichita Wind Surge
- Surge Sneak by Cards with Late Homer, 6-5 - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.