Suns Top Claws 4-3 on Sunday to Take Third Straight in Series
HAGERSTOWN, MD - Hagerstown held off the BlueClaws 4-3 on Sunday from Municipal Stadium and they have taken the first three in a four-game series from the BlueClaws.
Lakewood (28-39/57-80) has dropped four straight games while Hagerstown (35-34/65-75) clinched a winning record in the second half.
Trailing 4-2, the BlueClaws got back in the game in the seventh, loading the bases with nobody out. Abrahan Gutierrez walked to drive in one run. Pearson McMahon came on and got Carlos De La Cruz to ground into a double play on which a second run scored. Luis Garcia then grounded out to end the inning and the BlueClaws did not get another runner on base.
Matt Cronin threw a scoreless ninth for his first professional save.
Hagerstown opened the scoring in the second on an RBI double from Cole Daily off starter Francisco Morales.
Lakewood tied the game on Cole Stobbe's 14th home run of the season in the third inning off Suns starter Reid Schaller.
The Suns, however, scored runs in the fourth and fifth off Morales wild pitches. The right-hander came out in the fifth inning, and finished with 4.2 innings of work, allowing three runs.
Alfonso Hernandez (1-2) gave up two runs in three innings but earned the win.
Stobbe had three hits for Lakewood, his first three-hit game of the season.
The teams finish the regular season on Monday at 2:05 pm. LHP Manuel Silva (6-6) starts for Lakewood.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Jackets Clinch 2nd Half Title - Augusta GreenJackets
- Asheville Pushes Back in 7-2 Victory over Rome - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Show Their Courage, Fight to the Finish in Competitive Tilt - Columbia Fireflies
- Gonzalez Hits 23rd Homer in 'Dads Loss - Hickory Crawdads
- 'Birds Can't Capitalize in Clutch against K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates as Dogs Rout Drive in Fourth Straight Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- RiverDogs Cancel Season Finale Amidst Hurricane Dorian Evacuation Order - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Claws Miscues Lead to Third Straight Dub - Hagerstown Suns
- Offense Explodes in 7-3 Win in Penultimate Game - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: September 1 at Augusta (Game 135) - Columbia Fireflies
- Tourists Earn a Victory in Must Win Game - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Top Claws 4-3 on Sunday to Take Third Straight in Series - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Late-Inning Comeback Not Enough in 4-3 Loss - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Game Notes (September 1) - West Virginia Power
- Bill on Baseball: Koch Achieves 3-Homer Hat Trick - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Rome Mounts Furious Comeback in 8-4 Win - Rome Braves
- Avant Dominates, Columbia's Comeback Falls Short in Ninth - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jersey Shore BlueClaws Stories
- BlueClaws Welcome Jack Miller to Booth
- BlueClaws to Host Two Nights of Laser Light Shows October 8th & 9th
- Support the Jersey Shore BlueClaws & the Minor League Baseball Relief Act
- From the Desk of Joe Ricciutti (September 20th)
- BlueClaws Finish Season with 3-1 Win in Brooklyn on Sunday