Fireflies Game Notes: September 1 at Augusta (Game 135)
Columbia Fireflies (28-40, 52-82) @ Augusta GreenJackets (39-29, 75-61)
RHP Alec Kisena (4-2, 3.52) vs. LHP Seth Corry (9-3, 1.66 ERA)
Sun., September 1, 2019 - SRP Park (North Augusta, SC) - First Pitch 6:35 p.m. - Game 135
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Columbia fell just short of Augusta, 5-4. The Fireflies trailed by three entering the ninth inning, but a Chandler Avant two-run homer cut the deficit to one. The score held from there to give Columbia its fourth consecutive defeat.
ROLL TIDE, ROLL: Speaking of Chandler Avant, the former Alabama Crimson Tide had one of his best games of the season on Saturday. Avant notched three hits in four plate appearances, including the ninth-inning longball. Avant also had an RBI single earlier in the game.
LEADING THE CHARGE: Saturday wasn't a blip on the radar for Avant. The 24-year-old is hitting .375 against Augusta this season. That mark is tied with Nick Conti for the highest among current Fireflies hitters.
THE HOME STRETCH Columbia continues its final series of the 2019 season on Sunday against Augusta. The season finale will be on Labor Day. The Fireflies and GreenJackets have played 15 times with Augusta winning nine of the matchups. Sunday's game brings some added incentive, however. A GreenJackets win would clinch the Southern Division's second half title and a spot in the 2019 SAL Playoffs.
THE COUNTDOWN, 2019: This week, we counted down the top moments at Segra Park in 2019. In case you missed the top moment, take a look below:
1. The Near No-Hitter - June 28, 2019
Columbia carried a no-hitter into the ninth inning on June 28 against Hickory. Thomas Szapucki, Tylor Megill and Billy Oxford allowed just one hit in a brilliant 4-0 shut-out win over the Crawdads. It was Jonathan Ornelas, though, who broke up the no-hit bid with a double with one out in the top of the ninth. Szapucki, in his final start as a Firefly before his promotion to advanced-A St. Lucie, walked just one in his four innings of work and Megill followed that up by walking just one as well in his first four frames of work. Megill came back out for the ninth and struck out Frainyer Chavez before finally yielding the game's first hit. Oxford then came out of the bullpen & retired the next two batters to close out the one-hit shutout.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Jackets Clinch 2nd Half Title - Augusta GreenJackets
- Asheville Pushes Back in 7-2 Victory over Rome - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Show Their Courage, Fight to the Finish in Competitive Tilt - Columbia Fireflies
- Gonzalez Hits 23rd Homer in 'Dads Loss - Hickory Crawdads
- 'Birds Can't Capitalize in Clutch against K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates as Dogs Rout Drive in Fourth Straight Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- RiverDogs Cancel Season Finale Amidst Hurricane Dorian Evacuation Order - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Claws Miscues Lead to Third Straight Dub - Hagerstown Suns
- Offense Explodes in 7-3 Win in Penultimate Game - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: September 1 at Augusta (Game 135) - Columbia Fireflies
- Tourists Earn a Victory in Must Win Game - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Top Claws 4-3 on Sunday to Take Third Straight in Series - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Late-Inning Comeback Not Enough in 4-3 Loss - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Game Notes (September 1) - West Virginia Power
- Bill on Baseball: Koch Achieves 3-Homer Hat Trick - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Rome Mounts Furious Comeback in 8-4 Win - Rome Braves
- Avant Dominates, Columbia's Comeback Falls Short in Ninth - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta
- Fireflies Roster Move and Season Finale Notes: September 2 at Augusta (Game 136)
- Fireflies Show Their Courage, Fight to the Finish in Competitive Tilt