'Birds Can't Capitalize in Clutch against K-Town
SALISBURY, MD - The Delmarva Shorebirds will continue their search for win No. 90 after they fell 5-2 against the Kannapolis Intimidators on Sunday evening from Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
Johan Dominguez (6-5) picked up the win for the Intimidators (36-33, 64-73) by authoring a Quality Start where he went six scoreless innings, allowing just four hits and two walks while striking out six. Dallas Litscher (2-2) was hung with the loss for the Shorebirds (41-27, 89-48) after going five innings and allowing four runs on six hits and two walks while picking up six strikeouts. Austin Conway set down the side in order in the ninth, striking out two, to earn his 13th save of the year for the Intimidators.
Kannapolis got out in front in the second. Tyler Osik singled to open the frame, and after a strikeout, Corey Zangari poked a base knock if his own. Cameron Simmons followed with an infield single to load the bases. Michael Hickman capitalized as he brought Osik home with a sacrifice fly, staking the Intimidators to a 1-0 lead.
Delmarva had a chance to tie or go in front with the bases loaded in the bottom of the second, but Alexis Torres rolled into a double play to extinguish the rally.
The long ball extended the Kannapolis lead in the fourth. Romy Gonzalez worked a walk to begin the inning and Corey Zangari subsequently blasted a two-run homer to left, putting the Intimidators up 3-0.
Another leadoff walk came around to score in the fifth for Kannapolis. Ian Dawkins drew a walk to start the inning, and after a flyout, Alex Destino drove him in on a booming double to right center, making it 4-0.
Destino worked a leadoff free pass himself to kick off the eighth. After a flyout, Gonzalez flared a single to right, moving Destino to third. Zangari then picked up another RBI, as he drove in Destino with a sacrifice fly to left, staking Kannapolis to a 5-0 edge.
The Shorebirds got on the board in the eighth. Johnny Rizer stroked a single to begin the inning and Adley Rutschman followed by ripping a two-run to right, his second with Delmarva, giving the game its final score of 5-2.
In addition to his homer, Rutschman added a single for his first multi-hit game with the Shorebirds, going 2-for-4 with two RBIs. Torres also went 2-for-4, picking up a double.
Zangari powered the offense for Kannapolis, going 2-for-3 with a homer, three RBIs, and a run scored.
The Shorebirds and Intimidators wrap up the regular season on Monday. Adam Stauffer (0-0, 1.15) goes for Delmarva against Kevin Folman (0-4, 5.12) for Kannapolis. First pitch is slated for 2:05 p.m. with gates opening at 1:00. Monday afternoon at Perdue Stadium is Fan Appreciation Day, and the first 500 fans will receive a #HearMeOut hat presented by Spicer Bros. Construction. It is also 47 ABC $3 Buck Monday presented by Wicomico Heating and Air Conditioning. Pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch app begins at 1:50 with Will DeBoer and Sam Jellinek on the call.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Jackets Clinch 2nd Half Title - Augusta GreenJackets
- Asheville Pushes Back in 7-2 Victory over Rome - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Show Their Courage, Fight to the Finish in Competitive Tilt - Columbia Fireflies
- Gonzalez Hits 23rd Homer in 'Dads Loss - Hickory Crawdads
- 'Birds Can't Capitalize in Clutch against K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates as Dogs Rout Drive in Fourth Straight Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- RiverDogs Cancel Season Finale Amidst Hurricane Dorian Evacuation Order - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Claws Miscues Lead to Third Straight Dub - Hagerstown Suns
- Offense Explodes in 7-3 Win in Penultimate Game - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: September 1 at Augusta (Game 135) - Columbia Fireflies
- Tourists Earn a Victory in Must Win Game - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Top Claws 4-3 on Sunday to Take Third Straight in Series - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Late-Inning Comeback Not Enough in 4-3 Loss - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Game Notes (September 1) - West Virginia Power
- Bill on Baseball: Koch Achieves 3-Homer Hat Trick - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Rome Mounts Furious Comeback in 8-4 Win - Rome Braves
- Avant Dominates, Columbia's Comeback Falls Short in Ninth - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Join Us this Friday for the Shorebirds Drive-In Fireworks Spectacular
- Shorebirds Drive-In Fireworks Spectacular Set for Next Friday, Sep. 18
- Shorebirds Movie Night Presented by Valvoline Instant Oil Change Is Tonight
- Adley Rutschman Bobblehead Pack on Sale Now Until Sunday, September 6
- Shorebirds 2nd Drive-In Fireworks Spectacular Set for Sep. 18 Presented by Valvoline Instant Oil Change & Hudson Behavioral Health