Strecker Sets Franchise Record in Season Finale Loss
SAUGET, Il. - The Wild Things' 2019 season came to a close Sunday night in Sauget at GCS Credit Union Ballpark with a 2-1 loss to the Gateway Grizzlies. In it, Hector Roa set a new career high in RBI with 70 and Zach Strecker set the new single-season ERA record for the franchise.
The Grizzlies scored the first two runs of the game, scoring on an RBI single by Connor Owings in the third and a sacrifice fly by Shawon Dunston Jr. in the sixth.
Nick Gallagher pitched his way to a quality start for Washington, as he allowed two earned runs in six innings of work. In the process, Gallagher allowed seven hits and set a new career high with six punchouts.
The lone run for the Wild Things came in in the seventh, when Hector Roa, who was honored during the game as a post-season All Star outfielder in the Frontier League, hit his league-lead-tying 18th homer of the campaign. It gave Roa his 70th run batted in, which makes him the first Wild Thing to drive home 70 or more runs in a season since Bralin Jackson drove in 76 in 2017. It's a new career high for Roa.
After Jesus Balaguer tossed a scoreless seventh, Zach Strecker pitched a scoreless eighth, with two walks and two strikeouts, bringing his season ERA to 1.29, which sets a new Wild Things' single-season record for an ERA with a minimum of 50 innings pitched. Strecker surpasses the previous record of 1.40 set by Jim Popp in 2004.
With the loss, the Wild Things close at 37-59, and will finish last in the Frontier League standings, meaning they'll have the first pick in next year's draft.
Deposits for season ticket packages in 2020 are now being accepted. To put down money for a package and to discuss options, call the Wild Things' box office and ticket representatives at 724-250-9555.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Grizzlies Finish Season with 2-1 Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Come up Short in Finale, Finish Regular Season with 57 Wins - Evansville Otters
- Lake Erie Ends Regular Season on a Winning Note - Lake Erie Crushers
- Strecker Sets Franchise Record in Season Finale Loss - Washington Wild Things
- Sparks' Blast Gives Miners Win over Otters in 2019 Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Host Postseason Games - Evansville Otters
- Boomers End Season with a Shutout - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Blanked in Finale - River City Rascals
- Otters to Face Rascals in FLDS Starting Tuesday - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.