Stovall Leads 18-Hit Attack in 9-1 Tuesday Win at Lexington
LEXINGTON, KY - Hunter Stovall had four hits including a three-run home run to lead an 18-hit attack as the BlueClaws opened their series in Lexington with a 9-1 win.
The 18 hits for Lakewood (25-30/54-71) was their most of the season and highest total since a 21-hit output in a June 14, 2017 win against Delmarva.
Meanwhile, Erik Miller (1-0) gave up one run over five innings in his BlueClaws debut. Miller, a fourth round pick in this year's draft out of Stanford, gave up one run on four hits in five innings while striking out six and did not walk a batter. He has allowed just three earned runs in 28 professional innings while striking out 41 hitters.
Lakewood opened the scoring in the second on a solo home run by Cole Stobbe, his team-leading 13th of the season. Abrahan Gutierrez singled home run in the third to put the BlueClaws up 2-0.
Legends starter Yohanse Morel came out after four, allowing two runs on six hits.
In the fifth, the BlueClaws greeted Bryce Hensley with two runs, as Carlos De La Cruz doubled home Gutierrez and Stobbe to put Lakewood up 4-0.
After Lexington got a run in the fifth, McCarhty Tatum doubled home two more in the sixth to give the BlueClaws a 6-1 lead.
Stovall then smashed a three-run home run in the ninth. It was his 11th professional home run but first of this season.
Taylor Lehman got the last 12 outs to earn his second save.
Every BlueClaws starter had a hit in the win. Stovall had four while Yerwin Trejo had three. Matos, Gutierrez, Stobbe, and De La Cruz had two apiece.
The teams continue their three-game series on Wednesday at 12:05 pm. LHP Jhordany Mezquitastarts for Lakewood opposite RHP Charlie Neuwiler.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Eighty-Four Shorebirds Set Franchise Record - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Walk-Off in the Eleventh - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Not Able to Cash in on 12 Hits against Rome - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Newton Goes on Rampage in Series Opener in Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- Stovall Leads 18-Hit Attack in 9-1 Tuesday Win at Lexington - Lakewood BlueClaws
- After Rain Delay, Legends Drop Game One - Lexington Legends
- Tourists Blank Jackets 4-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Feltner, Tourists Set the Tone with Shutout Win - Asheville Tourists
- Nevarez Launches Homer as Power Fall, 5-3 - West Virginia Power
- Smith Hits Historic 10th Blast to Lead Dogs to Series-Opening Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Pitching Dominates in 4-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 20 at Hickory (Game 123) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Homestand Preview August 20-25 - Hagerstown Suns
- Rutschman to Join Shorebirds Wednesday - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Hot Shot' Jersey Auction Raises $2435 for CAMC Foundation - West Virginia Power
- Game Notes (August 20) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Dads Announce Fight for It VIII Event - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.