'Dads Walk-Off in the Eleventh
Hickory, NC - Tyreque Reed sent the 'Dads home with a 9-8 victory with a single in the eleventh inning. After completing a six-run comeback to send the game into extra innings tied at 7, the 'Dads rallied for another run in the tenth to tie things up once again before Reed's game winner in the next inning.
The 'Dads got on the board in the first inning with back-to-back doubles by Jax Biggers and Josh Jung.
The Fireflies took the lead with four runs in the fourth inning and added three more in the sixth to make the score 7-1.
In the bottom of the sixth inning the Crawdads scored three runs to make the deficit three. Jung led off the inning with a single and advanced to third on a double by Tyreque Reed. Both runners scored as Ryan Anderson reached second base on a throwing error by the third baseman. Miguel Aparicio drove in Anderson with a single to right field.
The 'Dads cut into the lead again with a run in the eighth inning. Melvin Novoa collected his twelfth double of the season and came home on a single by Pedro Gonzalez.
Jonathan Ornelas started the ninth inning off with a single and advanced to third on a single by Biggers. Biggers swiped second base for his tenth steal of the season. Tyreque Reed hit a sacrifice fly to score Ornelas. With two outs, Anderson reached on another throwing error by the third baseman, allowing Biggers to cross the plate and tie the game up at 7.
Columbia got a run across in the top of the tenth but the 'Dads brought their runner in from second to tie the game once again. Frainyer Chavez began the inning as the designated runner on second base, pinch-running for Melvin Novoa. Aparicio moved him up to third with a single and Matt Whatley's sacrifice fly brought Chavez in to score.
The Crawdads got the game-winning run in the eleventh inning. Biggers began the inning on second and advanced on Jung's single. Reed hit a walk-off single to give the 'Dads the 9-8 win.
The series continues tomorrow night the Kids Win Wednesday. All kids 12 and under can get a free ticket, meal voucher, and a voucher for the speed pitch, carousel and bounce house courtesy of NC Pediatric Dentistry. It is also Wine Wednesday and Catawba Farms and Carolina Vines will be at the stadium for a wine sampling. Local Heroes Week will continue through Friday and first responders can get up two free tickets to the games this week thanks to Hendrick Honda Hickory.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Eighty-Four Shorebirds Set Franchise Record - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Walk-Off in the Eleventh - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Not Able to Cash in on 12 Hits against Rome - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Newton Goes on Rampage in Series Opener in Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- Stovall Leads 18-Hit Attack in 9-1 Tuesday Win at Lexington - Lakewood BlueClaws
- After Rain Delay, Legends Drop Game One - Lexington Legends
- Tourists Blank Jackets 4-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Feltner, Tourists Set the Tone with Shutout Win - Asheville Tourists
- Nevarez Launches Homer as Power Fall, 5-3 - West Virginia Power
- Smith Hits Historic 10th Blast to Lead Dogs to Series-Opening Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Pitching Dominates in 4-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 20 at Hickory (Game 123) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Homestand Preview August 20-25 - Hagerstown Suns
- Rutschman to Join Shorebirds Wednesday - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Hot Shot' Jersey Auction Raises $2435 for CAMC Foundation - West Virginia Power
- Game Notes (August 20) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Dads Announce Fight for It VIII Event - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.