After Rain Delay, Legends Drop Game One
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - After a one hour and 21 minute delay due to weather, the Lexington Legends fell to the Lakewood BlueClaws, 9-1 in the first of a three game series.
Cole Stobbe blasted a leadoff home run in the top of the second inning and the BlueClaws led, 1-0.
In the top of the third inning, Melvin Matos led off with a single to left field. Abrahan Gutierrez then drove him home and Lakewood led, 2-0.
The BlueClaws struck again in the top of the fifth inning. Back-to-back hits by Gutierrez and Stobbe put runners at second and third. Carlos De La Cruz drove them both home with a double to right field and Lakewood extended their lead, 4-0.
The Legends plated their first run of the game in the bottom of the fifth inning. Reed Rohlman reached on a double to right field then scored on an RBI single by Chase Vallot. The Legends were on the board, 4-1 after five innings.
In the top of the sixth inning, Hunter Stovall and Yerwin Trejo reached on singles then scored on a two-run double by McCarthy Tatum.
A three-run home run by Hunter Stovall extended Lakewood's lead, 9-1 in the top of the ninth inning.
Erick Miller was awarded the victory tossing 5.0 innings allowing one run on four hits while striking out six. Yohanse Morel was given the loss pitching 4.0 innings allowing two runs on six hits while walking one and striking out six.
The Legends and BlueClaws face off for game two tomorrow, Wednesday August 21st at 12:05pm.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Eighty-Four Shorebirds Set Franchise Record - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Walk-Off in the Eleventh - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Not Able to Cash in on 12 Hits against Rome - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Newton Goes on Rampage in Series Opener in Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- Stovall Leads 18-Hit Attack in 9-1 Tuesday Win at Lexington - Lakewood BlueClaws
- After Rain Delay, Legends Drop Game One - Lexington Legends
- Tourists Blank Jackets 4-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Feltner, Tourists Set the Tone with Shutout Win - Asheville Tourists
- Nevarez Launches Homer as Power Fall, 5-3 - West Virginia Power
- Smith Hits Historic 10th Blast to Lead Dogs to Series-Opening Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Pitching Dominates in 4-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 20 at Hickory (Game 123) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Homestand Preview August 20-25 - Hagerstown Suns
- Rutschman to Join Shorebirds Wednesday - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Hot Shot' Jersey Auction Raises $2435 for CAMC Foundation - West Virginia Power
- Game Notes (August 20) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Dads Announce Fight for It VIII Event - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Murphy Named Voice of the Legends
- Lexington Legends to Rebrand to Kentucky Beer Cheese
- Legends Announce 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Legends to Host Female Minor League Baseball Broadcasters Event
- Brooks Conrad Returns to Manage Reigning South Atlantic League Champions