Feltner, Tourists Set the Tone with Shutout Win
NORTH AUGUSTA - The Asheville Tourists opened up their six-game road trip this evening with game one of a three-game series against the second place Augusta GreenJackets. Asheville held a one-game advantage entering tonight's contest and fired a 4-0 shutout to increase their lead in the SAL Southern division to two games.
Ryan Feltner set the tone in impressive fashion. Asheville's starting pitcher fired five shutout innings with seven strikeouts to earn his team-leading eighth win of the season. Feltner retired the first nine GreenJackets hitters he faced and notched his first road win of the season in the process.
Coco Montes also delivered a tone-setting blast. Coco launched a two-run Home Run to let-centerfield in the top of the first inning to give Asheville a 2-0 lead. The Tourists added one more in the top of the second on a fielder's choice when manager Robinson Cancel dialed up a double-steal with runners at the corners.
The Tourists found themselves in a similar situation in the sixth inning and once again Cancel called the same play. It worked for the second time and Asheville extended their lead to 4-0.
Reagan Todd, Alexander Martinez, Jacob Bosiokovic, and PJ Poulin combined to pitch the final four innings and kept the shutout intact. Augusta managed only five hits in the game. The two teams are back at it for game two on Wednesday night.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Eighty-Four Shorebirds Set Franchise Record - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Walk-Off in the Eleventh - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Not Able to Cash in on 12 Hits against Rome - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Newton Goes on Rampage in Series Opener in Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- Stovall Leads 18-Hit Attack in 9-1 Tuesday Win at Lexington - Lakewood BlueClaws
- After Rain Delay, Legends Drop Game One - Lexington Legends
- Tourists Blank Jackets 4-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Feltner, Tourists Set the Tone with Shutout Win - Asheville Tourists
- Nevarez Launches Homer as Power Fall, 5-3 - West Virginia Power
- Smith Hits Historic 10th Blast to Lead Dogs to Series-Opening Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Pitching Dominates in 4-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 20 at Hickory (Game 123) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Homestand Preview August 20-25 - Hagerstown Suns
- Rutschman to Join Shorebirds Wednesday - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Hot Shot' Jersey Auction Raises $2435 for CAMC Foundation - West Virginia Power
- Game Notes (August 20) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Dads Announce Fight for It VIII Event - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.