Stott and Simmons Mash Long Balls in Blowout Win
Williamsport, Penn. - Bryson Stott launched a pair of homers and Kendall Simmons clobbered a long grand slam to center in a 10-3 blowout win of the State College Spikes on Sunday evening before a sold out crowd at BB&T Ballpark.
The Phillie Phanatic made its annual Williamsport appearance to open the entertainment before the game. Then came Stott's homer in the first and Simmons big blast in the second.
Stott had the first two-homer game for a Crosscutter since Aug 2, 2018 and has gone 8-for-13 in his last four games with two doubles, three home runs and six RBI.
The Simmons grand slam was the first of the season for Williamsport. It gave the Cutters a 7-0 lead early in the game. Simmons is second in the NYPL with nine home runs trailing Ezequiel Duran of the Staten Island Yankees who has 10.
Johan Rojas singled to right in the eighth inning to drive in Nicolas Torres, who had doubled, pushing the Crosscutters to double digits in runs for the first time this season. Tyler Burch recorded seven straight outs to begin the night and allowed one unearned run in four innings. Victor Vargas threw three innings in his Cutters' debut for the win. And Brian Marconi wrapped it up with six straight outs including striking out the side in the ninth.
Williamsport (22-34) will conclude its brief two-game homestand on Monday at 7:05 p.m. with RHP Brett Schulze starting for Williamsport. The Cutters open a seven-game road-trip after that with trips to State College, Auburn and West Virginia.
SC 3 7 2 (4)
WIL 10 10 1 (4)
W - Victor Vargas (1-0)
L - Junior Gonzalez (2-4)
HR - Bryson Stott (4, 5). Kendall Simmons (9) (Grand Slam!!)
Crosscutters Record: 22-34
Next Home Game/Promotion: Monday, August 11, 7:05 p.m. vs. State College / Team Photo Giveaway
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 11, 2019
- Rolling Merrily Along - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spinners Swept in Doubleheader Sunday Night - Lowell Spinners
- Comeback Clones Top Yankees, 7-4 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Perez, Bellozo Lead 'Cats to 5-1 Victory over Tigers - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Aberdeen Opens Series With 11-0 Win Over Vermont - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Black Bears Stumble in Game One - West Virginia Black Bears
- Long Ball Sinks Spikes in 10-3 Loss to Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- Stott and Simmons Mash Long Balls in Blowout Win - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Late-Rally for Tri-City Downs Tigers - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Two CT Tigers Promoted to West Michigan - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Doubledays Swept by Scrappers - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.