Aberdeen Opens Series With 11-0 Win Over Vermont
BURLINGTON, VT - Kevin Magee tossed six scoreless innings and Andrew Daschbach collected five RBI to lead the Aberdeen Ironbirds to an 11-0 shutout victory over the Vermont Lake Monsters in the opener of a three-game New York-Penn League series Sunday evening at historic Centennial Field.
Magee (3-5) scattered four hits with one walk and 10 strikeouts over six scoreless innings. The 2019 ninth-round pick out of St. John's has now allowed just one unearned run on six hits with one walk and 18 strikeouts last 12 innings in wins over Connecticut and Vermont.
Daschbach picked up an RBI groundout in the first on as Aberdeen scored an unearned run, then smacked a three-run double to left as the Ironbirds took advantage of three walks by Vermont starter Yorlenis Noa in the second inning to score five times for a 6-0 advantage.
Lowell added two more runs in the fourth off Lake Monsters reliever Vince Coletti, including an RBI double from 2019 first-overall draft pick Adley Rutschman and Daschbach's fifth RBI on a line drive single to right field. Kyle Stowers added a three-run homer to left in the top of the ninth.
Carlos Sanchez came on in relief for Vermont in the top of the fifth and retired 12 of 13 batters he faced with three strikeouts. The only baserunner came on a two-out throwing error in the eighth after retiring the first 11, while Sanchez has now not allowed an earned run in his last 13 innings pitched over last six outings.
Three Aberdeen relievers combined to strikeout seven over final three innings, giving Vermont hitters a season-high 17 strikeouts and a league-high 10th shutout loss (tying team-record set in 2001 and 2012). Josh Watson and Logan Davidson both had two of Vermont's five hits in the loss.
Vermont (25-31) will look to rebound in the second of the three-game series at Centennial Monday 7:05 pm vs. Aberdeen. The first 500 fans will receive a free Lake Monsters soap dispenser.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 11, 2019
- Rolling Merrily Along - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spinners Swept in Doubleheader Sunday Night - Lowell Spinners
- Comeback Clones Top Yankees, 7-4 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Perez, Bellozo Lead 'Cats to 5-1 Victory over Tigers - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Aberdeen Opens Series With 11-0 Win Over Vermont - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Black Bears Stumble in Game One - West Virginia Black Bears
- Long Ball Sinks Spikes in 10-3 Loss to Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- Stott and Simmons Mash Long Balls in Blowout Win - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Late-Rally for Tri-City Downs Tigers - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Two CT Tigers Promoted to West Michigan - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Doubledays Swept by Scrappers - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vermont Lake Monsters Stories
- Vermont Lake Monsters Announce Summer Series of Events Hosted at Centennial Field
- Vermont Lake Monsters Season Shelved
- 2020 Lake Monsters Field Staff Announced
- Lake Monsters Receive 2019 Vincent McNamara Outstanding Club Award
- Lake Monsters Shutout 3-0 At Tri-City