Perez, Bellozo Lead 'Cats to 5-1 Victory over Tigers
NORWICH, CT - The ValleyCats (23-32) ended their four game skid on Sunday thanks in part to the bat of Joe Perez, who delivered a clutch three-run triple in the eighth to give the 'Cats the lead and ultimate 5-1 victory over Connecticut (26-29).
Trailing 1-0 heading into the top of the eighth inning, the 'Cats loaded the bases to set the stage for red hot Joe Perez. Behind in the count 1-2, Perez lined a triple to the center field wall, clearing the bases and giving the 'Cats a 3-1 advantage.
The following batter, Luis Guerrero, then singled home Perez to put Tri-City ahead 4-1. In the ninth, the 'Cats added an insurance run when Luis Santana homered to center for a 5-1 lead. Santana finished the game 3-for-4 at the plate.
'Cats pitcher Valente Bellozo continued his dominance of the New York-Penn League, allowing only one hit across four innings of relief, striking out eight Tigers along the way. Bellozo (6-0) earned the victory and lowered his league-leading ERA to 1.39.
The 'Cats and Tigers continue their three game series on Monday at Dodd Stadium in Connecticut, with a first pitch of 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 11, 2019
- Rolling Merrily Along - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spinners Swept in Doubleheader Sunday Night - Lowell Spinners
- Comeback Clones Top Yankees, 7-4 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Perez, Bellozo Lead 'Cats to 5-1 Victory over Tigers - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Aberdeen Opens Series With 11-0 Win Over Vermont - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Black Bears Stumble in Game One - West Virginia Black Bears
- Long Ball Sinks Spikes in 10-3 Loss to Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- Stott and Simmons Mash Long Balls in Blowout Win - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Late-Rally for Tri-City Downs Tigers - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Two CT Tigers Promoted to West Michigan - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Doubledays Swept by Scrappers - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.