Perez, Bellozo Lead 'Cats to 5-1 Victory over Tigers
NORWICH, CT - The ValleyCats (23-32) ended their four game skid on Sunday thanks in part to the bat of Joe Perez, who delivered a clutch three-run triple in the eighth to give the 'Cats the lead and ultimate 5-1 victory over Connecticut (26-29).
Trailing 1-0 heading into the top of the eighth inning, the 'Cats loaded the bases to set the stage for red hot Joe Perez. Behind in the count 1-2, Perez lined a triple to the center field wall, clearing the bases and giving the 'Cats a 3-1 advantage.
The following batter, Luis Guerrero, then singled home Perez to put Tri-City ahead 4-1. In the ninth, the 'Cats added an insurance run when Luis Santana homered to center for a 5-1 lead. Santana finished the game 3-for-4 at the plate.
'Cats pitcher Valente Bellozo continued his dominance of the New York-Penn League, allowing only one hit across four innings of relief, striking out eight Tigers along the way. Bellozo (6-0) earned the victory and lowered his league-leading ERA to 1.39.
The 'Cats and Tigers continue their three game series on Monday at Dodd Stadium in Connecticut, with a first pitch of 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 11, 2019
- Rolling Merrily Along - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spinners Swept in Doubleheader Sunday Night - Lowell Spinners
- Comeback Clones Top Yankees, 7-4 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Perez, Bellozo Lead 'Cats to 5-1 Victory over Tigers - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Aberdeen Opens Series With 11-0 Win Over Vermont - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Black Bears Stumble in Game One - West Virginia Black Bears
- Long Ball Sinks Spikes in 10-3 Loss to Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- Stott and Simmons Mash Long Balls in Blowout Win - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Late-Rally for Tri-City Downs Tigers - Connecticut Tigers
- Two CT Tigers Promoted to West Michigan - Connecticut Tigers
- Doubledays Swept by Scrappers - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tri-City ValleyCats Stories
- New York-Penn League Announces 2020 Season Schedule
- 'Cats Drop Series Finale to Brooklyn, Enter All-Star Break
- Pitchers Duel Ends in Tigers 2-0 Victory
- Brewer Hits First Pro Homer as 'Cats Defeat Tigers 7-5
- Perez, Bellozo Lead 'Cats to 5-1 Victory over Tigers