Storm Sign Forward Davis Burnside to Tender Agreement
Kearney, NE. - The Tri-City Storm have announced the signing of forward Davis Burnside to a tender agreement for the 2019-2020 season. Burnside is committed to Ohio State, and will be eligible for the 2021 NHL Draft.
Davis Burnside, 15, of La Grange, Illinois, skated in 91 games this season with the Chicago Mission youth program in Chicago, IL. Burnside scored 57 goals and recorded 66 assists for 123 points during the 2018-2019 season.
"I knew right away after my visit to Kearny that this would be the place for me. Mr. Steve Lowe, Coach Anthony Noreen have been awesome in welcoming me into the Storm family. I love the tight knit community here in Kearney, the Storm have great facility at the Viaero Center, and I really like the staff's coaching style and how they can help me in my development. Ever since I first heard of the USHL three or four years ago, with college hockey being a goal of mine for the future, I knew this league was right for me and my development path to get to college. Ohio State is a great school, a Big Ten school with great rivalries on the ice with schools like Michigan and Penn State, and I wanted to be a part of that atmosphere. The coaches at Ohio State are great coaches, and it's a great school. I want to spend a lot of time in the weight room this summer to get bigger and stronger, and work on my skill, speed, and overall game. I had a 90 plus game season this year, it just ended, but I'm excited for next season with the Storm!" - Davis Burnside
"Davis is a player who we feel is an elite playmaker and skater, and someone who's character and integrity matches his hockey ability. Obviously to be taking a player of his age, both of those things have to be in line. He is a guy we've targeted for months, since early in the season with the hopes that we would join our organization. We couldn't be more excited to have him sign with the Storm for next season. In tendering Davis, we are sacrificing our 1st round Phase I pick in next month's draft. We feel that the Phase I draft is really where you build your team, it's a crucial draft for players going through the draft process for the first time. We would not have gotten him picking at the end of the 1st round, we felt that because of his elite abilities, he would've been taken 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Overall. We were going to find a way regardless of if we tendered him or not to bring him into the organization after we identified him as one of the best players in his birth year class." - GM/Head Coach Anthony Noreen
The USHL tender process allows teams to sign up to two 2003 birth year players prior to the 2019 USHL Phase I draft. This is the first tender signing for the Storm this season. Today's signing will replace the Storm's 1st round draft choice at the 2019 USHL Phase I draft.
Images from this story
Forward Davis Burnside with the Chicago Mission youth program
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2019
- Storm Finalize Historic Regular Season with Emphatic Win over Sioux City - Tri-City Storm
- Stars Fall 3-2 in Overtime to Lancers to End Season - Lincoln Stars
- Musketeers Bring In Young Guns To Close Out Regular Season - Sioux City Musketeers
- Late Surge Secures Second - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Phantoms Wrap up Regular Season with 4-1 Victory - Youngstown Phantoms
- Stampede Set to Face Sioux City in 1st Round of Clark Cup Playoffs - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Maccelli Ties Haula and Gaudreau, Dubuque Falls 6-2 to Waterloo - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Muskegon Avoids Serious Injury in 8-1 Loss to Chicago in Regular-Season Finale - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Stampede Blast Past Buccaneers in Regular Season Finale - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Drop Lumberjacks 8-1, Clinch First Round Bye - Chicago Steel
- Central Illinois Falls to Cedar Rapids in Final Game of the Season - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Cedar Rapids RoughRiders Playoff Info Released - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Steel Clinch #2 Seed in Eastern Conference - Chicago Steel
- Tri-City Storm Sign Davis Burnside to Tender - USHL
- Storm Sign Forward Davis Burnside to Tender Agreement - Tri-City Storm
- Preview - Lancers at Stars - Lincoln Stars
- Gameday Preview: Storm Host Sioux City for Final Game of Regular Season - Tri-City Storm
- Stars Top Lancers in Omaha 4-2 - Lincoln Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tri-City Storm Stories
- Storm Announce Schedule for 20th Anniversary Season
- Record Number of Storm Players Selected at 2019 NHL Draft
- Storm Forward Brendan Budy Announces Commitment to North Dakota
- Storm Forward Khristian Acosta Announces Commitment to Mercyhurst
- Storm Acquire Defenseman Mitchell Miller in Trade with Cedar Rapids