Musketeers Bring In Young Guns To Close Out Regular Season
KEARNEY, NE | The Musketeers closed out the 2018-19 regular season with one last game against the Tri-City Storm. The Musketeers playoff position is set so Sioux City decided to go with a younger lineup than usual. Twelve players were scratched for Sioux City in favor of some younger affiliates looking to get their first taste of USHL action. The Anderson Cup Champions decided to bring their full lineup tonight making it a tough challenge for a young Musketeer squad. That challenge would prove to be a bit too much in the regular season's final game with the Storm skating to a 6-1 victory in Kearney
The Storm would score early and often in the 1st period starting with a goal from Asa Kinnear at the 4:30 mark. The storm followed that up with three unanswered goals. One from Ian Murphy and two from Ronnie Attard. Sioux City wouldn't be kept completely off the board in the period though. Ian Malcolmson made a nice drop pass to Adam Samuelsson who bombed one the puck home for his first goal of the season to get the Musketeers back within three.
Things went back downhill in the 2nd period for the Musketeers. Brendan Budy put the Storm up 5-1on the powerplay just 1:02 into the 2nd period. Filip Forsmark added the Storm's second goal of the period at the 11:21 mark to give Tri-City a 6-1 lead, and that's how the period would end.
Things turned a little chippy, to say the least, in the 3rd period. A combined ten penalties were called and were split right down the middle at five a piece. Neither team capitalized on any of their powerplay opportunities and the game would end with a final score of 6-1.
It was a learning experience for the young players who found their way into the lineup against a full strength Tri-City team. None saw more action then goaltender Aidan Harper who faced 36 shots and stopped 30 of them. Isaiah Saville made 20 saves for the Storm.
The 2018-19 regular season has now come to a close and the playoff field is officially set. The Musketeers will head up I-29 for a 1st round matchup against the Sioux Falls Stampede. The Musketeers have only one win against the Herd the season so it will no doubt be a battle the whole way.
Tickets for round one are on sale now! Call (712)204-6768 to get your tickets. All Musketeer tickets will be $15.00 and placed in section 122. Get ready to bring the noise Musketeer Nation because we are headed to the playoffs and we are back for more!
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2019
- Storm Finalize Historic Regular Season with Emphatic Win over Sioux City - Tri-City Storm
- Stars Fall 3-2 in Overtime to Lancers to End Season - Lincoln Stars
- Musketeers Bring In Young Guns To Close Out Regular Season - Sioux City Musketeers
- Late Surge Secures Second - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Phantoms Wrap up Regular Season with 4-1 Victory - Youngstown Phantoms
- Stampede Set to Face Sioux City in 1st Round of Clark Cup Playoffs - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Maccelli Ties Haula and Gaudreau, Dubuque Falls 6-2 to Waterloo - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Muskegon Avoids Serious Injury in 8-1 Loss to Chicago in Regular-Season Finale - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Stampede Blast Past Buccaneers in Regular Season Finale - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Drop Lumberjacks 8-1, Clinch First Round Bye - Chicago Steel
- Central Illinois Falls to Cedar Rapids in Final Game of the Season - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Cedar Rapids RoughRiders Playoff Info Released - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Steel Clinch #2 Seed in Eastern Conference - Chicago Steel
- Tri-City Storm Sign Davis Burnside to Tender - USHL
- Storm Sign Forward Davis Burnside to Tender Agreement - Tri-City Storm
- Preview - Lancers at Stars - Lincoln Stars
- Gameday Preview: Storm Host Sioux City for Final Game of Regular Season - Tri-City Storm
- Stars Top Lancers in Omaha 4-2 - Lincoln Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux City Musketeers Stories
- Grant in Place for Masilevich During World Junior A Challenge
- Sioux City Drops Two over the Holiday Week
- Sioux City Acquires David Gucciardi from Muskegon
- Musketeers Acquire Connor Androlewicz from Maine During International Competitions
- Musketeers Acquire Ignat Belov from Cedar Rapids