Storm Finalize Historic Regular Season with Emphatic Win over Sioux City
Kearney, NE - The Tri-City Storm capped off a historic regular season on Saturday night at the Viaero Center with an emphatic victory against the Sioux City Musketeers. Asa Kinnear, Ian Murphy, Ronnie Attard, Brendan Budy, and Filip Forsmark all scored goals in the Storm's team record 45th win of the regular season. Isaiah Saville stopped twenty of twenty-one shots to record his 25th victory of the season in net. Attard's two goals, and two assists gave him 1st Star honors and a place in the USHL record books. Attard's 1st goal of the game broke the record for most goals scored in a single season by a defenseman in USHL history. His four-point performance set a new USHL record for most points in a single season by a defenseman in the Tier 1 era (2002-Present). The Tri-City Storm will learn its Western Conference Semifinal opponent during this week's opening round of the Clark Cup Playoffs. Playoff dates and times will be released by the USHL tomorrow. For 2019 Clark Cup Playoff tickets, and the latest information on the Tri-City Storm's postseason, visit the official team website www.StormHockey.com.
The Storm's first goal in Saturday night's offensive breakout was scored by Asa Kinnear at the 4:30 mark of the opening period. Kinnear's 5th goal of the season was assisted by Benji Eckerle and Ronnie Attard. Ian Murphy scored his 8th goal of the year at 11:02 of the 1st period to increase the Storm's lead to 2-0. Brendan Furry recorded the lone assist on the goal. Minutes later, Ronnie Attard scored his 29th goal of the season to give the Storm a 3-0 lead. Zac Jones and Chase McLane registered assists on the goal. At 18:19 of the 1st period, Attard scored again to lift the Storm to a four-goal lead. Attard's 30th goal of the season was assisted by Zac Jones and Brendan Furry. Shortly after the Storm took a 4-0 lead in the game, the Musketeers netted a goal to bring the Storm's lead back to three goals. Adam Samuelsson scored his 1st goal of the season with 28 seconds left in the 1st period to give Sioux City its only goal of the game. Tri-City outshot Sioux City 16-10 in the opening period and took a 4-1 lead into the 2nd period.
Brendan Budy scored 62 seconds into the 2nd period to push the Storm's lead back to four goals. Budy's goal was his 11th of the season and was assisted by Ronnie Attard. The goal was Tri-City's 58th power play goal of the season. Filip Forsmark scored at 11:21 of the 2nd period to give Tri-City a 6-1 lead. Forsmark's goal was his 14th of the year and was assisted by Shane Pinto. Tri-City outshot Sioux City 12-7 in the 2nd period and took a 6-1 lead into the 3rd period.
Forsmark's 2nd period goal was the final scoring play of the game, as neither team found the back of the net in the 3rd period. The Tri-City Storm finished the 2018-2019 Anderson Cup Championship season with a record of 45-12-3-2 and will have a bye through next week's opening round of the 2019 Clark Cup Playoffs.
Tri-City returns to action in the Western Conference Semifinals next weekend at the Viaero Center. For Clark Cup playoff tickets, and more information on the Tri-City Storm, visit www.stormhockey.com.
Images from this story
Tri-City Storm pose as a team
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2019
- Storm Finalize Historic Regular Season with Emphatic Win over Sioux City - Tri-City Storm
- Stars Fall 3-2 in Overtime to Lancers to End Season - Lincoln Stars
- Musketeers Bring In Young Guns To Close Out Regular Season - Sioux City Musketeers
- Late Surge Secures Second - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Phantoms Wrap up Regular Season with 4-1 Victory - Youngstown Phantoms
- Stampede Set to Face Sioux City in 1st Round of Clark Cup Playoffs - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Maccelli Ties Haula and Gaudreau, Dubuque Falls 6-2 to Waterloo - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Muskegon Avoids Serious Injury in 8-1 Loss to Chicago in Regular-Season Finale - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Stampede Blast Past Buccaneers in Regular Season Finale - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Drop Lumberjacks 8-1, Clinch First Round Bye - Chicago Steel
- Central Illinois Falls to Cedar Rapids in Final Game of the Season - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Cedar Rapids RoughRiders Playoff Info Released - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Steel Clinch #2 Seed in Eastern Conference - Chicago Steel
- Tri-City Storm Sign Davis Burnside to Tender - USHL
- Storm Sign Forward Davis Burnside to Tender Agreement - Tri-City Storm
- Preview - Lancers at Stars - Lincoln Stars
- Gameday Preview: Storm Host Sioux City for Final Game of Regular Season - Tri-City Storm
- Stars Top Lancers in Omaha 4-2 - Lincoln Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.