Storm Pick up Back-To-Back Wins Versus Lancaster
LAKE ELSINORE, Calif. - After shutting out the league's top hitting team 10-0 on July 4th at The Diamond, the Storm now share first place with Lancaster after a 4-1 win against the Jethawks on Friday night. LHP Aaron Leasher continued his impressive recent stretch, improving to 3-0 with a 0.95 ERA in the second half, recording 24 K/2 BB in 19 innings since the All-Star break.
Leasher, the former Morehead State standout, went a season-high seven innings, throwing 94 pitches and 61 strikes. He earned his 6th victory of 2019, second on the team and tied for fourth most in the California League in wins.
After the Storm scored an unearned run in the second, Lancaster plated an unearned run in the fourth to tie the score. The Storm then took the lead for good in the home half of the fourth, providing some run support for the Mount Pleasant, Michigan native. All-Star catcher Luis Campusano, the league's top hitter, lined a single to center to begin a rally, later scoring on SS Eguy Rosario's RBI single to give the Storm a 2-1 advantage. DH Jack Suwinski followed with an RBI on a fielder's choice to make it a 3-1 game. In the fifth inning, Storm All-Star Gabriel Arias doubled home LF Allen Cordoba to complete the scoring.
After Leasher did his part, RHP Blake Rogers worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the eighth and pitched a scoreless ninth to earn his first save of the season with Lake Elsinore after pitching in 28 games at Double-A Amarillo in the Texas League.
The Storm are tied for first with Lancaster in the second half with a 9-7 record and improved to 44-40 overall.
LHP Aaron Leasher: Seven innings, zero earned runs, five hits, one walk, six strikeouts
3B Gabriel Arias: 2-3, one double (13), two runs, one RBI (37th)
LF Allen Cordoba: 1-4, one double (12), nine-game hitting streak (17 of last 18 games with a hit)
SS Eguy Rosario: 2-3, one RBI (32), team-best 15-game hitting streak
WP: Aaron Leasher (6-5)
LP: Lucas Gilbreath (3-6)
Sv: Blake Rogers (1)
On Saturday, July 3 at 6:00pm Storm LHP Osvaldo Hernandez will make his home debut and second start of the season for the Padres' affiliate, opposed by Lancaster RHP Will Gaddis in the final game of the three-game series. Lake Elsinore will host the Dodgers' affiliate, Rancho Cucamonga, on Sunday in the first of three against the Quakes. For the best available seats buy online at stormbaseball.com or call 951-245-4487.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from July 6, 2019
- Quakes Romp Again in SB - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Gaddis Goes Eight, JetHawks Blank Storm - Lancaster JetHawks
- Storm Pick up Back-To-Back Wins Versus Lancaster - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Seager with Two Hits as Quakes Pummel Sixers - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- 'Hawks Fall to Storm for Third Loss in a Row - Lancaster JetHawks
- Nuts Take Fourth Straight Win - Modesto Nuts
- Ports Drop Fourth Straight, Fall 7-3 - Stockton Ports
- Rawhide Shut out the Giants 4-0 - Visalia Rawhide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake Elsinore Storm Stories
- Greatest Comeback in Franchise History as Storm Score 10 Runs in the Ninth, Win 14-13 in 10 Innings
- Storm Move into a Three-Way Tie for First Place with 8-3 Road Win Versus 66ers
- Storm Topple the Giants, 8-7, in 14 Innings to Move Within a Half Game of First Place
- Storm Celebrate in Walk-Off Fashion in 8-7 Win over the 66ers
- Storm Get Swept in Lancaster, Return Home for a Weekend Series against Inland Empire