Stiever, Bats Guide Dash Past P-Nats on Friday
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Jonathan Stiever notched a quality start and the offense racked up nine hits, as the Dash claimed a 5-2 victory over the Potomac Nationals in front of 5,972 fans on Friday night at BB&T Ballpark.
Making his 10th outing in the Dash (26-27, 64-53) purple, Stiever (6-3) earned his eighth quality start. The former Indiana University star allowed two runs on six hits across six innings while striking out three Potomac (28-26, 58-63) hitters. Meanwhile, Mitch Roman and Andrew Vaughn both racked up multiple hits to lead the way for the offense.
The Nationals struck quickly in the top of the first. With one out, Gage Canning belted a solo homer into the right field seats to put Potomac up 1-0. Then, Potomac struck again via the long ball in the top of the second. Following a Jakson Reetz flyout, KJ Harrison crushed a solo homer into left field to make it 2-0.
However, Winston-Salem responded with a home run against Potomac starter Malvin Pena (5-9) in the bottom of the second. With one out, Jameson Fisher lined a solo shot just over the right field wall to pull the Dash within one.
In the bottom of the fourth, the Dash tied up the ballgame against Potomac starter Malvin Pena (5-9). Andrew Vaughn led off the frame by bouncing a single through the left side before Craig Dedelow walked to put runners at first and second. Following a strikeout by Fisher, Mitch Roman hit a soft single to load the bases. Then, JJ Muno grounded into a fielder's choice, scoring Vaughn to tie the contest at two.
The Dash broke the game open in the bottom of the fifth. To lead off the inning, Evan Skoug drew a walk. Then, Steele Walker laced a ground-rule double down the right-field line. Following Walker's double, Tyler Frost blooped a ball into right field past a diving Telmito Agustin for a two-run double. Vaughn capped the scoring in the frame with a double off the wall in right-center field to score Frost and make it 5-2.
In relief of Stiever, Jose Nin, Caleb Frare and Wyatt Burns combined to pitch three scoreless frames. Burns earned the save by pitching a scoreless ninth with one strikeout.
The Dash continue their series with the Nationals on Saturday at 6 p.m. Pregame coverage begins at 5:45 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast, MiLB.tv and the TuneIn Radio App.
Saturday's contest will be the final Chick-fil-A Four Pack Night of the season and will feature live music prior to the game. The series finale will be a Latin American Jersey Day and a Lowes Foods Family Sunday. Kids Run the Bases, powered by New Balance Winston-Salem will take following all three games.
For tickets and more information, call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 16, 2019
- Keys Squander Lead Late - Frederick Keys
- Sox Shutout Pelicans 1-0 - Salem Red Sox
- Five Run Eighth Leads Wilmington Past Down East - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Shutout by Red Sox in Series Opener - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Errors Prove Costly in 6-5 Series Opening Loss in Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Stiever, Bats Guide Dash Past P-Nats on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Early Homers Don't Hold up in Defeat to Dash - Potomac Nationals
- Woodpeckers Soar to Comeback Victory over Keys - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Fielding Mistakes by Carolina Propel Lynchburg to Victory - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 16 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 16 vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 16 vs. Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- INF Jhonny Bethencourt activated from the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Spend Friday, August 23rd in the King's Court with Jerry "The King" Lawler - Potomac Nationals
- August 16 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Homestand Preview - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Dash Nominated for MiLB's John H. Johnson Award
- Johnson, Vaughn Named to Premier12 Roster
- Dash's Bugno Honored as Winston Under 40 Leadership Award Recipient
- Winston-Salem to Host MiLB Innovators Summit in 2020
- Sports Business Journal Names Winston-Salem as Ninth-Best Minor League Market