Early Homers Don't Hold up in Defeat to Dash
Winston-Salem, NC - The Potomac Nationals (58-63, 28-26) jumped out to an early lead against the Winston-Salem Dash (26-27, 64-53) on Friday night, but allowed the final five runs of the game in a 5-2 loss.
Though it was in a losing effort, RHP Luis Reyes set a P-Nats season high with 10 strikeouts over 4.0 innings in a relief role. With a Salem win, the P-Nats trail the Red Sox by 3.5 games with 16 games remaining in the regular season.
CF Gage Canning struck first with a solo homer, his third of the season, in the first inning off RHP RHP Jonathan Stiever (W, 6-3). DH KJ Harrison hit his ninth of the year with a solo blast to left field in the second to put Potomac ahead 2-0.
The Dash would respond in their half of the second with a home run from LF Jameson Fisher off RHP Malvin Peña (L, 5-9). They would tie the game in the fourth, getting an RBI fielder's choice in the fourth from 2B JJ Muno.
Peña began the fifth inning in a 2-2 tie, but a leadoff walk was followed by back-to-back-to-back doubles from CF Steele Walker, DH Tyler Frost, and 1B Andrew Vaughn to give the Dash a 5-2 lead. Peña would leave the game without recording an out in the fifth, but Reyes entered and began his dominant performance with a pair of strikeouts to escape further trouble.
Reyes established a high water mark for Potomac relievers with his 10 strikeouts, and tied an overall season high for any P-Nats pitcher. Though no late rally materialized, 1B Aldrem Corredor extended his hitting streak to 16 games with a single in the eighth inning.
The P-Nats continue their series against the Dash on Saturday night as LHP Carson Teel faces off against an unannounced Dash starter. First pitch at BB&T Ballpark is set for 6:00 pm, with the P-Nats Leadoff Show starting at 5:45. Fans can listen to the Potomac broadcast at potomacnationals.com or on the TuneIn Radio App.
The Potomac Nationals of the Carolina League play at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge, Virginia, and are the Carolina League affiliate of the Washington Nationals. The Potomac Nationals have claimed five Carolina League Championship titles (1982, 1989, 2008, 2010, and 2014) and 10 CL Northern Division Championships. Sponsorship opportunities for the P-Nats' 2019 season and beyond are available, as well as all-inclusive corporate picnic outings to watch the future stars of the Washington Nationals at The Pfitz. 2019 Potomac Nationals season tickets and mini plans are now on sale. For more information on Potomac Nationals 2019 season tickets, mini plans, group outings, picnic packages, fundraisers, and all things Red, White, and Blue, visit the P-Nats online at www.potomacnationals.com, follow the P-Nats on Facebook (@PotomacNationals), Twitter (@PNats42), and Instagram (@pnats42), or call the Potomac Nationals' Extreme Custom Collision Ticket Office at 703-590-2311.
Fredericksburg Baseball is set to begin Carolina League play in 2020 at a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium facility, located at Celebrate Virginia South on Carl D. Silver Parkway near the Fredericksburg Expo & Convention Center in Fredericksburg, VA. Celebrate baseball in The 'Burg and stay up to date with the progress of the new ballpark facility and the team online at www.fredericksburgbaseball.com, and follow Fredericksburg Baseball on Facebook (@FredericksburgBaseball), on Twitter (@FXBGBaseball20), and on Instagram (@fredericksburgbaseball).
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 16, 2019
- Keys Squander Lead Late - Frederick Keys
- Sox Shutout Pelicans 1-0 - Salem Red Sox
- Five Run Eighth Leads Wilmington Past Down East - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Shutout by Red Sox in Series Opener - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Errors Prove Costly in 6-5 Series Opening Loss in Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Stiever, Bats Guide Dash Past P-Nats on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Early Homers Don't Hold up in Defeat to Dash - Potomac Nationals
- Woodpeckers Soar to Comeback Victory over Keys - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Fielding Mistakes by Carolina Propel Lynchburg to Victory - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 16 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 16 vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 16 vs. Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- INF Jhonny Bethencourt activated from the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Spend Friday, August 23rd in the King's Court with Jerry "The King" Lawler - Potomac Nationals
- August 16 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Homestand Preview - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- Potomac Nationals Players Recognized in 2019 Minor League Awards
- 2019 Potomac Nationals Season in Review
- Fredericksburg Baseball Team Gets a Name
- Carson Teel Named Carolina League Player of the Month
- Fredericksburg Baseball Hires Nick Hall as New Executive Vice President and General Manager; Bryan Holland and Aaron Johnson Promoted to Vice Presidents