Steelheads Top Aces in the Shootout
Anchorage, AK (10/21/15)-- Carson McMillan and Emil Molin both scored in the shootout to cap off a late third period comeback and clinch the Steelheads' second win of the season, 4-3 over the Alaska Aces at Sullivan Arena.
Andre Bouvet-Morrissette, who came into the game tied for second in the ECHL with four points, found the puck on his stick between the circles with 3:15 remaining in regulation and the Steelheads trailing by a goal. A cross-ice turnover by Alaska's Steve Perfetto on a pass intended for Tim Coffman in the defensive zone, Bouvet Morrissette found himself completely alone and snapped the puck past goaltender Troy Redmann for his first of the season.
"It was kind of a weird play," said Bouvet-Morrissette. "(Coffman) wheeled and dropped the puck right in the slot and I was there."
Morrissette's goal pulled the Steelheads even after they had surrendered a third period lead for the second straight game. Leading 2-1 entering the third period, courtesy of Brandon Magee's first pro goal and Colton Beck's third of the season on the power play, the Steelheads were on a power play looking to extend their lead.
Just under a minute into the period, Zack Kamrass was forced to haul down Justin Breton on a breakaway off of a blocked point shot to even the man-power at 4-on-4. With the man power even, Perfetto jumped on a rebound in the slot and popped it over Eric Hartzell, who was strong in net throughout the contest with 35 saves and two stops in the shootout.
Just under two minutes later, Gleason Fournier's wrist shot through traffic beat a screened Hartzell to give the Aces their first lead. The game almost moved out of reach, when with 7:31 remaining Idaho defenseman Cole Martin was whistled for a double-minor for high-sticking. That's when the Steelhead penalty kill changed the game.
The Steelheads killed off the double-minor, thanks to key several saves from Hartzell, and 14 seconds later the puck found Bouvet-Morrissette.
"We stayed calm and we killed the penalty, which was huge," said Morrissette. "(Hartzell) made some big saves and after that we got a lucky bounce and we took advantage of it."
That bounce led to a Morrissette goal, and it set the stage for Molin and McMillan to close out the Steelheads' first road win of the season.
The Steelheads and Aces meet again at Sullivan Arena on Friday night, with puck drop at 9:15 MT.
Goals: Magee (1), Beck (3), Bouvet-Morrissette (1), Molin/McMillan (SO)
Eric Hartzell: 35 saves on 38 shots
Power Play: 1-for-4
Penalty Kill: 5-for-6
THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. Emil Molin - Steelheads
2. Andre Bouvet-Morrissette - Steelheads
3. Justin Breton - Alaska Aces
Play of the Game:
Andre Bouvet-Morrissette has been an offensive catalyst for the Steelheads early this season, already with four assists coming into the game on Wednesday. But his biggest contribution in this young season is without question his tying goal against Alaska, on the road late in the third period and coming on the back end of a crucial penalty kill. The Steelheads' immense forecheck pressure again paid dividends, forcing a bad pass right on the tape of Morrissette, and in the most dangerous area of the ice. Morrissette didn't miss, and the Steelheads were on their way to overtime and a victory.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 22, 2015
- Orlando Outguns Admirals to Hand Norfolk Second Road Loss - Norfolk Admirals
- High-Profile NCAA Grads Join Beast Roster - Brampton Beast
- Thunder Acquire Patch Alber from Missouri - Adirondack Thunder
- Rankin Heads to the AHL - Toledo Walleye
- DeSousa Returns to Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Drayson Bowman Receives Call-Up to AHL - Colorado Eagles
- ECHL Transactions - October 22 - ECHL
- Weekend Preview: IceMen vs. Toledo, 7:15pm Saturday - Evansville IceMen
- Tampa Bay Loans Brian Hart to Greenville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Today - October 22 - ECHL
- Idaho Claims Shootout Win over Aces - Alaska Aces
- Steelheads Top Aces in the Shootout - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Rally in the Third for 3-1 Win over Colorado - Allen Americans
- Americans Rally in Third Period to Defeat Eagles 3-1 - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Host Home Opening Weekend this Friday & Saturday
- Tomas Sholl Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week
- Steelheads to Host Ã¢ÂÂFan Fest' Ahead of Friday's Home Opener
- Steelheads Weekly - October 14, 2019
- Steelheads Net Early Goals, Seal 3-1 Win over Utah