Steelheads Open Weekend with 4-2 Win over Walleye
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (21-11-3) scored twice early in the third period, sealing a 4-2 win over the Toledo Walleye (23-9-3) on Wednesday night from CenturyLink Arena.
After weathering an early storm of pressure by the Walleye, the Steelheads answered with the game's opening tally. At 14:00, Steelheads Steve McParland dove into the crease to poke a loose puck past the goal line following a Jeff King shot to edge ahead 1-0.
The Walleye and Steelheads went back and forth in the second period starting with Walleye defenseman Matt Register from the slot at 4:17 to tie the game, 1-1. Coming out of the penalty box, Steelheads defenseman Keegan Kanzig joined a 2-on-1 rush and sniped a one-time shot from the right circle at 6:57, taking another lead at 2-1. The Walleye answered late in the period at 15:20 with a shot by forward T.J. Hensick, leveling the game at 2-2.
Just 0:46 into the third period, McParland notched his second goal on the night thanks to a rebound and sweeping shot from the slot to take back the lead again, 3-2. Steelheads forward Robbie Payne padded the lead with another rebound goal, this time crashing the net from the slot at 3:47 to double the lead, 4-2. The Steelheads held a potential comeback bid away from the Walleye to ensure the victory to open the weekend.
Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (13-4-0) turned aside 29 of 31 shots in the win, while Walleye netminder Pat Nagle (13-6-1) stopped 29 of 33 shots in the loss. The Steelheads and Walleye resumed their three-game weekend on Friday, Jan. 11 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 208-383-0080 or going to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK as well as 7:00 p.m. on CableOne Ch. 72 and ECHL TV.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 10, 2019
- Mavericks Release Goaltender Max Milosek - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 10 - ECHL
- Rockford Assigns Matheson Iacopelli to Indy; Manning Recalled - Indy Fuel
- Reed Named to Broadcast Team for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - Norfolk Admirals
- Broadcasters Named for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Steelheads Open Weekend with 4-2 Win over Walleye - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 Shootout in Cincinnati - Utah Grizzlies
- Cyclones Fall in Shootout in Homestand Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Duffy's Three Points Pace Admirals to 5-2 Victory over Orlando - Norfolk Admirals
- Everblades Stomp Swamp Rabbits, 7-3 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Clinch Series with 2-1 Overtime Win over Grizzlies
- Steelheads Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Complete Comeback in 5-4 Overtime Win in Game 4
- Steelheads Battle to 3-2 Overtime Win over Utah, Take Series Lead
- Steelheads to Host Free Watch Parties for Games in Utah at SportZone
- Brad McClure Joins Steelheads from Texas Stars