Steelheads Open Weekend with 4-2 Win over Walleye
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (21-11-3) scored twice early in the third period, sealing a 4-2 win over the Toledo Walleye (23-9-3) on Wednesday night from CenturyLink Arena.
After weathering an early storm of pressure by the Walleye, the Steelheads answered with the game's opening tally. At 14:00, Steelheads Steve McParland dove into the crease to poke a loose puck past the goal line following a Jeff King shot to edge ahead 1-0.
The Walleye and Steelheads went back and forth in the second period starting with Walleye defenseman Matt Register from the slot at 4:17 to tie the game, 1-1. Coming out of the penalty box, Steelheads defenseman Keegan Kanzig joined a 2-on-1 rush and sniped a one-time shot from the right circle at 6:57, taking another lead at 2-1. The Walleye answered late in the period at 15:20 with a shot by forward T.J. Hensick, leveling the game at 2-2.
Just 0:46 into the third period, McParland notched his second goal on the night thanks to a rebound and sweeping shot from the slot to take back the lead again, 3-2. Steelheads forward Robbie Payne padded the lead with another rebound goal, this time crashing the net from the slot at 3:47 to double the lead, 4-2. The Steelheads held a potential comeback bid away from the Walleye to ensure the victory to open the weekend.
Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (13-4-0) turned aside 29 of 31 shots in the win, while Walleye netminder Pat Nagle (13-6-1) stopped 29 of 33 shots in the loss. The Steelheads and Walleye resumed their three-game weekend on Friday, Jan. 11 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 208-383-0080 or going to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK as well as 7:00 p.m. on CableOne Ch. 72 and ECHL TV.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 10, 2019
- Mavericks Release Goaltender Max Milosek - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 10 - ECHL
- Rockford Assigns Matheson Iacopelli to Indy; Manning Recalled - Indy Fuel
- Reed Named to Broadcast Team for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - Norfolk Admirals
- Broadcasters Named for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Steelheads Open Weekend with 4-2 Win over Walleye - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 Shootout in Cincinnati - Utah Grizzlies
- Cyclones Fall in Shootout in Homestand Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Duffy's Three Points Pace Admirals to 5-2 Victory over Orlando - Norfolk Admirals
- Everblades Stomp Swamp Rabbits, 7-3 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.