Steelheads' Nesbitt Named In Glas Co Player Of The Week
February 27, 2007 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. - Idaho Steelheads right wing Derek
Nesbitt is the In Glas Co ECHL Player of the Week for Feb.
The Egmondville, Ontario native had three goals, eight assists, 11 points and a plus-minus rating of +7 as the Steelheads swept a three-game series against Utah to remain in second place in the West Division and fourth place in the National Conference.
After having an assist in a 5-4 win at Utah on Feb. 19, the 24-year-old had a career-high five points and tied his career best with three assists while finishing at +3 in an 8-3 win against Utah on Feb. 23. He equaled the five points on Feb. 24 with a power-play goal and a career-high four assists and again was +3 in a 7-0 win against Utah.
The 6-foot and 185-pound Nesbitt is tied for seventh in the league with 13 power-play goals and is tied for eighth with 38 assists. Nesbitt, who was chosen to play in the ECHL All-Star Game hosted by Idaho, leads the Steelheads in assists and power-play goals and is second on team with 59 points in 46 games.
In his first professional season in 2005-06 with Gwinnett, he tied for the lead among ECHL rookies with 14 power-play goals while finishing tied for fourth with 69 points and fifth with 43 assists in 71 games. He tied for the team lead with five power-play goals and had 13 points and eight penalty minutes in 17 games in the Kelly Cup Playoffs for the Gladiators.
He played four years at Ferris State University and had 141 points (59g-82a) and 122 penalty minutes in 154 games from 2001-05. In 2002-03 he had career bests with 20 goals, 33 assists and 53 points in 42 games while helping Ferris State win the Central Collegiate Hockey Association championship and advance to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament.
On behalf of Derek Nesbitt, a case of pucks will be donated to a Boise, Idaho area youth hockey organization by In Glas Co, the exclusive puck supplier for the ECHL. Since beginning its sponsorship of the award in 2000-01, In Glas Co has donated more than 15,000 pucks to youth hockey organizations in ECHL cities.
Also Nominated: Joe
Talbot (Alaska), Jason
Platt (Augusta), Josh
Liebenow (Bakersfield), Adam
Taylor (Florida), Luke
Curtin (Fresno), Mike
Vigilante (Gwinnett), Steve
Crampton (Las Vegas), Ned
Lukacevic (Reading), Evan
Schwabe (South Carolina), Mathieu
Melanson (Stockton) and Bill
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 27, 2007
- Condors Slip Past RoadRunners 5-4 In A Shootout - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Fresno Extra Special In 5-0 Win Over Cyclones - Cincinnati Cyclones
- MacDonald Stops 35 Shots for First Pro Shutout - Fresno Falcons
- Bombers soar over Toledo, 6-2 - Dayton Bombers
- Everblades in first place after 6-3 win over Augusta - Florida Everblades
- Ice Pilots fall to Inferno 5-4 in shootout - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Third period power play goals vault Everblades over Lynx - Augusta Lynx
- Community and Promotions Update - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Cyclones Receive Goaltender Dov Grumet-Morris - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Constant recalled to Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Steelheads' Nesbitt Named In Glas Co Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Nesbitt named ECHL Player of the Week - Idaho Steelheads
- Stingrays Weekly - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators "Salute to Atlanta Traffic" Jersey Auction a Success - Atlanta Gladiators
- McKenna named Goaltender of the Week - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Wranglers' McKenna Named Rbk Hockey Goalie Of The Week - ECHL
- Benson, Wellar may suit up for Peoria Thursday - Alaska Aces
- Condors Game Preview - Bakersfield Condors
- Atherton, Lascek and Smolenak recalled - Johnstown Chiefs
- Eight-Game Homestand Begins This Weekend - Stockton Thunder
- Charity Case to perform post-game concert March 17 - Charlotte Checkers
- ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna in Long Beach Wednesday - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Ice Pilots weekly - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Ice Pilots look for four wins in Columbia Tonight - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Book Em, Danno - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.