Steelheads lose to Phoenix, 3-2
Boise, ID- The Idaho Steelheads (43-24-4) fell by a 3-2 score tonight against the Phoenix RoadRunners (30-36-5) in front of 4,271 fans at Qwest Arena.
The scoring opened on a disputed goal to end the first period; Bryan McGregor put the Steelheads on top 1-0 with a goal at 19:59 of the first period to beat the buzzer. The goal, which was initially disallowed, was McGregor's 35th of the season. Brandon Svendsen assisted.
Mark O'Leary tied the game for Phoenix with a shorthanded goal at 4:18 of the second, before Matt McKnight banged home a McGregor rebound for his 10th of the season at 10:25 of the second to regain the lead for Idaho. Marty Flichel also assisted on the power play goal.
Phoenix scored twice in the third to win the game, as O'Leary tied the game at 2-2, and Mitch Carefoot scored the game-winner on the power play at 14:36.
Kurtis Mucha (0-1-0) arrived in the six o'clock hour for tonight's 7:10 puck drop to fill the voids of Matt Climie (Recalled to NHL Dallas) and Rejean Beauchemin (Loaned to AHL Houston), and stopped 25 of 28 Phoenix shots. Prior to his arrival, emergency goalie Andy Pate stopped the only shot he faced in 1:20 of action.
Kyle Jones stopped 35 of 37 shots for the win in the Phoenix net. He improves to 9-15-2 on the season.
With Alaska's 3-0 win over Utah tonight, the Steelheads will be hosting the Victoria Salmon Kings in round one of the RC Willey Kelly Cup Playoffs, which begin Saturday night, April 11 at Qwest Arena.
The Steelheads and RoadRunners will conclude the four-game series and the regular season tomorrow night at Qwest Arena; the puck drops at 7:10. A Steelheads season awards ceremony will precede the game.
TONIGHT'S AQUAFINA THREE STARS:
MARK O'LEARY (PHX) BRYAN MCGREGOR (IDH) KORY SCORAN (IDH)
TONIGHT'S COORS LIGHT OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE GAME: BRYAN MCGREGOR (IDH)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2009
- Grizzlies Fall Before Season-High Crowd At E-Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads lose to Phoenix, 3-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Whacked By Devils, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- Blades win streak hits seven after quieting the Sea Wolves 3-1 - Florida Everblades
- RoadRunners Rally Past Steelheads 3-2 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Florida comes from behind to edge Sea Wolves - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Nailers Fall 3-2 But Still Control Playoff Destiny - Wheeling Nailers
- Chiefs tripped up in OT - Johnstown Chiefs
- Gladiators Fall to Stingrays 4-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Bombers Deny Nailers Chance To Clinch Playoff Spot Winning 3-2 - Dayton Bombers
- Cyclones Clinch Home Ice In 4-3 Overtime Win! - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Devils Blow Out Royals, 5-1 - Trenton Devils
- Alaska Aces premiere "Heartbeat to the Kelly Cup" - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- South Carolina's Morin Wins ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Two Homes Are Better Than One - Charlotte Checkers
- Steelheads Acquire Dallas Stars Draft Pick Luke Gazdic - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Las Vegas Wranglers - Stockton Thunder
- Dallas Stars Recall Goaltender Matt Climie - Idaho Steelheads
- Attention Season Ticket Holders - Elmira Jackals
- Year End Honors Announced - Elmira Jackals
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Ontario Reign - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.