Steelheads Come Close, Fall 1-0 to Oilers in Game 3
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (4-4-0) put themselves in a position to score but couldn't find a goal, falling 1-0 to the Tulsa Oilers (7-3-0) on Tuesday night from CenturyLink Arena in Game 4 of the Mountain Division Final of the 2019 U.S. Bank Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by SmileDirectClub. The Steelheads trail the Oilers 3-0 in the series and must win to keep their postseason alive.
The Steelheads came out fast and physical in the first period, outpacing the Oilers 18-8 in shots while creating numerous opportunities to post the game's first goal. Bounces didn't go the team's way despite the pressure and tone set, and both sides went into the intermission scoreless.
In the second period, one side broke through on a net-front scramble, resulting in the lone goal of the night in favor of the Oilers. At 11:33 of the second period, Oilers forward Alex Dostie slipped behind the net after a scrum off the left post and found forward Stephen Perfetto open for a one-time shot from the left circle, edging ahead 1-0.
The Steelheads put up more pressure and urgency in the third period; however they could not find the answering goal to at least force overtime and fell 1-0 to the Oilers.
Oilers netminder Devin Williams (7-3-0) turned away all 36 shots in the win, while Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (4-4-0) stopped 26 of 27 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads play in an elimination scenario for Game 4 of the Mountain Division Final on Wednesday, May 1 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena against the Oilers. Tickets are available by calling the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 or going online to idahosteelheads.com
Follow along as the Steelheads hunt for their third Kelly Cup Championship at IdahoSteelheads.com and follow the Steelheads on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 1, 2019
- Monarchs Fall, 4-3, in Game 4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Cyclones Drop Game 3 in Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Growlers Take 3-1 Series Lead, Defeat Monarchs 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - May 1 - ECHL
- Mavericks Trainer Nick Potter Wins ECHL Athletic Trainer of the Year Award - Kansas City Mavericks
- Kansas City's Potter Receives ECHL Athletic Trainer of the Year Award Presented by Warrior Hockey - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Central Division Final, Game 3 vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jeremy Helvig Recalled to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Come Close, Fall 1-0 to Oilers in Game 3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Williams Blanks Steelheads as Oilers Take 3-0 Series Lead - Tulsa Oilers
- Comeback Kids: 'Blades Rally to Drop Solar Bears in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Fall 3-2 in OT to Everblades in Game 3 - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Slip in Return Home, 4-1, to Oilers
- Steelheads Sign Goaltender Arthur Brey Ahead of Tonight's Game
- Goaltender Tomas Sholl Earns First AHL Recall to Texas Stars
- Steelheads Announce Multiple Transactions with Trade, Assignment & Signing
- Spider-Man Slings in for Steelheads Marvel Super Hero Night Saturday