Solar Bears Fall 3-2 in OT to Everblades in Game 3
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears (5-3) built a 2-0 lead in the first period, but saw the Florida Everblades (6-3) storm back to tie the score in the third frame and eventually take Game 3 of the South Division Finals by a 3-2 final in overtime on Tuesday night at Amway Center. Orlando now trails the best-of-seven series 2-1.
The Solar Bears struck first just two minutes into the opening frame when Jonne Tammela fed Zach Frye in the slot and the rookie buried a shot past Callum Booth for his first of the postseason.
Orlando extended its lead to two goals when Florida's Logan Roe's attempted pass deflected off the skate of Alexei Lipanov, allowing Hunter Fejes to burst into the offensive zone and snap a shot from the hash marks past Booth at 16:52 for his team-leading sixth goal of the playoffs.
Blake Winiecki got the Everblades on the board in the third period when his shot rebounded off the glass behind the net and dropped onto the back of Connor Ingram before rolling into the back of the net at 5:35.
Nathan Perkovich then tied the score at 2-2 for the visitors when he took advantage of an Orlando turnover at the side of the net and stuffed the puck past Ingram at 9:14 for an unassisted goal.
In the first overtime the Solar Bears were forced to play down a man for five minutes when Tammela was assessed a major penalty and a game misconduct for kneeing following a collision with Michael Downing at 2:16.
The Everblades sealed the game when John McCarron redirected a point shot from Patrick McCarron past Ingram at 4:08.
Ingram took the loss with 30 saves on 33 shots against; Booth picked up the win with 31 stops on 33 shots against.
1) Patrick McCarron - FLA
2) Zach Frye - ORL
3) Callum Booth - FLA
Orlando outshot the Everblades 20-6 in the first period, breaking the previous club record for most shots on goal in a single period of a playoff game. The previous mark of 19 was set in the third period of Game 5 of the South Division Finals vs. Florida on May 6, 2018.
This was the first time in Solar Bears history that Orlando played three consecutive playoff overtime games. The Solar Bears previously had played back-to-back overtime contests during the first round of the 2018 playoffs against South Carolina, winning Games 3 and 4 by identical 2-1 scores on home ice.
2019 Playoffs Presented by XYMOPrint:
Tickets for the second round of the Orlando Solar Bears 2019 Playoffs, presented by XYMOPrint, are now on sale. The Solar Bears are back in action when they host Game 4 of the South Division Finals on Thursday, May 2 at 7 p.m. at Amway Center. Tickets can also be purchased via ticketmaster.com or the Amway Center box office.
Playoff Perks from FAIRWINDS:
FAIRWINDS Credit Union members can score a pair of free tickets to each Solar Bears home playoff game during the second round. The first 100 FAIRWINDS members who show their FAIRWINDS debit/credit card and photo ID at the Amway Center box office will receive a free pair of tickets to that day's game. Once all 100 pairs are claimed, FAIRWINDS members can still take advantage of a buy-one-get-one offer. Visit fairwinds.org/solarbears for additional details.
2019-20 Season Ticket Memberships on Sale Now:
Upgrade to Solar Status and become a Season Ticket Member today. Season ticket memberships for the 2019-20 season are now on sale and start as little as $270.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 1, 2019
- Monarchs Fall, 4-3, in Game 4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Cyclones Drop Game 3 in Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Growlers Take 3-1 Series Lead, Defeat Monarchs 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - May 1 - ECHL
- Mavericks Trainer Nick Potter Wins ECHL Athletic Trainer of the Year Award - Kansas City Mavericks
- Kansas City's Potter Receives ECHL Athletic Trainer of the Year Award Presented by Warrior Hockey - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Central Division Final, Game 3 vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jeremy Helvig Recalled to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Come Close, Fall 1-0 to Oilers in Game 3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Williams Blanks Steelheads as Oilers Take 3-0 Series Lead - Tulsa Oilers
- Comeback Kids: 'Blades Rally to Drop Solar Bears in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Fall 3-2 in OT to Everblades in Game 3 - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.