Steel FC Battles Back for Draw at Eastern Conference Leaders
CINCINNATI - Down a man, trailing by a goal and over 22,000 fans celebrating at Nippert Stadium, Bethlehem Steel FC rallied to claim an important point on the road against Eastern Conference leaders, FC Cincinnati, 2-2.
Fabian Herbers leveled the affair that had the crowd stunned moments in the 69th minute, as the Philadelphia Union midfielder beat the keeper inside the far post to make it 2-2. The goal capped off a hectic three-goal sequence that saw Cincinnati equalize in the 66th minute and go-ahead two minutes later. Collecting a pass from 18-year-old rookie Michee Ngalina, Herbers beat his defender into the box and fired a left-footed shot that ended the game's scoreline.
While Steel FC was forced to play the final 38 minutes down a man after Olivier Mbaizo was sent off, the young squad left it all on the pitch to push the club's unbeaten run to three-consecutive matches including a pair of draws against the top two clubs in the USL's Eastern Conference. Union veteran goalkeeper John McCarthy came up big between the sticks, making eight saves as Cincinnati fired 27 shot overall.
Steel FC came out eager against the future-MLS side, pinning their hosts on defense for the opening 10 minutes of the match. After a diving save from McCarthy in the 25th minute, Steel FC claimed the lead on Derrick Jones' team-leading third goal. After having his initial shot blocked at the edge of the box, the Union midfielder collected the ball beat two defenders before slotting a right-footed shot inside the post.
Cincinnati battled back but was stifled by McCarthy and the Steel FC defense to get into the dressing rooms down 1-0. Momentum swung into the host's favor with the man-advantage but the Steel FC held on for 14 minutes. Cincinnati broke through in the 66th minute after Matt Real made a goal-line clearance but Nazmi Albadawi collected the clearance and scored. Two minutes later, Cincinnati took the lead on a header from Russell Cicerone but the lead lasted only a minute thanks to Herbers' follow up goal.
After a busy slate of two matches in five days, Steel FC returns home with time to recover before returning to league action against rival New York Red Bulls II on Wednesday, June 20. The midweek tilt at Goodman Stadium on the campus of Lehigh University is scheduled to kick off at 5 p.m.
Bethlehem Steel FC 2, FC Cincinnati 2
Shots: 26-10 (Cincinnati)
Shots On Goal: 10-3 (Cincinnati)
Corners: 12-1 (Bethlehem/Cincinnati)
Saves: 8-1 (Bethlehem)
BST - 29' Derrick Jones
CIN - 66' Nazmi Albadawi
CIN - 68' Russell Cicerone (Blake Smith)
BST - 69' Fabian Herbers (Michee Ngalina)
BST - 51' Olivier Mbaizo (Yellow Card)
BST - 52' Olivier Mbaizo (Red Card)
BST - 86' Fabian Herbers (Yellow Card)
CIN - 87' Danni Konig (Yellow Card)
BETHLEHEM STEEL FC STARTING XI
John McCarthy; Matt Real, Brandon Aubrey, Matt Mahoney, Olivier Mbaizo; James Chambers, Derrick Jones; Santi Moar, Anthony Fontana (Drew Skundrich 61'), Michee Ngalina (Chris Nanco 80'); Fabian Herbers (Ben Ofeimu 90').
Substitutes not used: Kris Shakes, Prosper Chiluya, Mike Catalano, Jeremy Rafanello.
FC CINCINNATI STARTING XI
Evan Newton; Matt Bahner, Sem de Wit, Dekel Keinan (Forrest Lasso 36'), Blake Smith; Kenney Walker, Russell Cicerone, Corben Bone, Nazmi Albadawi; Jimmy McLaughlin, Emery Welshman (Danni Konig 64').
Substitutes not used: Mark Village, Daniel Harber, Michael Lahoud, Will Seymore, Justin Hoyte.
Officials: Marcos de Oliveira, Cory Richardson (Assistant), Benjamin Hall-Volpenhein (Assistant), Jason Ulrich (Fourth Official).
LVHN TEAM NOTES
- Philadelphia Union midfielder Derrick Jones tallied his third goal of the 2018 season tonight with Bethlehem Steel FC. The goal was Jones' first since May 12 at Charleston.
- Jones' goal is his ninth of his Steel FC career, pushing him into sole possession of third place on the club's all-time scoring chart.
- In the 69th minute, fellow Union teammate Fabian Herbers scored his second Steel FC goal of 2018. The strike was the 24-year-old's fifth all-time goal with the club.
- On Herbers' goal, Michee Ngalina registered the first assist of his professional career.
- John McCarthy made eight saves in the contest, one short of his career-high nine saves which came against the Tampa Bay Rowdies in March.
- Bethlehem Steel FC claimed its first result on the road at FC Cincinnati and is now 2-3-2 all-time.
Images from this story
Derrick Jones of Bethlehem Steel FC vs. FC Cincinnati
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 13, 2018
- FCC scores twice to earn a point, remain in first place in USL's Eastern Conference - FC Cincinnati
- Steel FC Battles Back for Draw at Eastern Conference Leaders - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Atlanta United 2 Draw 1-1 with Charlotte Independence - Atlanta United 2
- Independence Earn Away Point Versus Atlanta - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC Wins Big over Ottawa Fury FC in 4-2 Midweek Victory - North Carolina FC
- Fury FC Drop 4-2 Result in North Carolina Despite Resilient Performance - Ottawa Fury FC
- Republic FC Invites Fans to Watch World Cup Games at the Team Store - Sacramento Republic FC
- Lights FC Looks to Build on Positive Momentum in First Visit to Face Phoenix Rising FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Moloto Remembers 2010 World Cup in South Africa - Nashville SC
- USL Discipline Report - Week 14 - USL
- Former No. 1 Overall MLS SuperDraft Pick Omar Salgado Joins Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- United Bid Selected to Host the 2026 FIFA World Cup, Cincinnati Among Finalist Cities - FC Cincinnati
- Independence Expected to Break Attendance Record with Stadium Expansion - Charlotte Independence
- Lights FC Partners with William Hill Sports Book - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Kevin Nagle's Statement on the United 2026 World Cup Announcement - Sacramento Republic FC
- Popovic Named Coach of the Month for May in USL - Ottawa Fury FC
- Ottawa's Popovic Named USL Coach of the Month - USL
- Match Day | Fresno FC vs. Sacramento Republic FC | June 13, 2018 | Chukchansi Park - Fresno FC
- Marcel Schafer Departs Rowdies for VFL Wolfsburg Return - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- USL Executives Praise World Cup Decision - USL
- Putting Canada on the Map - Ottawa Fury FC
- Strong Second Half Lifts Penn FC Past Richmond for Second Straight Win - Penn FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bethlehem Steel FC Stories
- Bethlehem Steel FC Buried by Charleston
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Face Charleston Battery
- Faris becomes the second Steel FC player to score 10 goals in a single season
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Face Ottawa Fury FC
- Selmir Miscic breaks the record as the youngest goalscorer for Steel FC in loss